walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Knock Hill and Bin of Cullen

Knock Hill and Bin of Cullen

Postby rob munbett » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:36 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bin of Cullen, Knock Hill

Date walked: 28/02/2014

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My last morning of the holiday was cold,clear and frosty so a short trip to Knock Hill and the nearby Bin of Cullen seemed like a smart move. I drove down the A95 from Whitehills and turned off on a very minor road (unsigned) towards Swilebog to park at NJ547554 at a sharp right hand bend. I walked round the bend and turned left through a gate towards the hill on a clear path through some trees.
P1020159.JPG
Knock Hill
I passed through another gate and started to climb the hill on a path that was a deep peaty rut through the heather. I was fortunate that it was a cold frosty morning which made the ground hard because on a wet day this would have been boggy and slippery.
P1020162_edited-1.jpg
Looking down the track on Knock Hill
The gradient eased as the summit came into view through another gate at the top of the track.
P1020163.JPG
Approaching the summit of Knock Hill
It was a surprisingly cluttered summit area with several cairns and a strange arrangement of concentric rings of quartzite stones set in the ground.
P1020168.JPG
The summit of Knock Hill, Bin of Cullen in the distance
I stopped to enjoy the views for a short while, looking over to Bin of Cullen, my next objective.

It was short drive round to the start for Bin of Cullen at NJ492632, at the start to a forest road near Braidbog. This hill was a very easy, pleasant stroll on a great track all the way to the summit. I started by walking round a long curving bend to cross a stream on a concrete bridge before turning left up through the woods. I turned left again at the next junction and followed the track up to the open summit area.
P1020171.JPG
On the upper part of the track to Bin of Cullen
On the final ascent, there was a short cut of a straight quartzite path which cuts out some of the bends on the track. The views of the Moray and Banffshire coastline from the summit are most enjoyable.
P1020174.JPG
The view towards Buckie from the Bin of Cullen
It was also pleasing to look back over to Knock Hill, where I'd been earlier.
P1020175.JPG
On the summit of Bin of Cullen looking over to Knock Hill
rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland