walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Best walk to do - Mid October?

Best walk to do - Mid October?

Postby Gommsta » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:52 pm

Hi folks!

Just after a bit of advice. I walked the Great Glen Way with my brother in June 2012. It was my first long distance walk and I enjoyed it a great deal!

I am trying to arrange another long distance walk, but this time it will be mid October, with a friend who has never been to Scotland. I have a full week off, so I'm thinking with travelling that would leave me with five full days of walking.

Any suggestions? Am fairly young and fit, but not really up for yomping as quickly as possible through the countryside. I want to enjoy it and all of the things we may find along the way.

Initial thoughts are Cateran trail or Speyside way?

What can you all recommend?
Gommsta

Re: Best walk to do - Mid October?

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:12 pm

The Kintyre Way is worth a look - a week should be long enough for you to get to the starting point at Tarbert, walk down to Campbeltown and catch a bus back to Glasgow and beyond. The last two stages (to Machrihanish and on to Southend) might have to wait for another trip.

NB the new ferry from Campbeltown to Ardrossan only runs during the summer months, so will stop at the end of September.

BtB
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Postby Gommsta » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:59 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't considered the Kintyre Way so I will read up on it and put it in the "maybe" pile, it's just a slight faff to get to/from.

I've also had a wee gander at the Rob Roy way, and that seems to be very scenic, straightforward, and accessible (quick bus from Glasgow to Drymen, train from Pitlochry to Glasgow).

I'm based in Glasgow, so these walks are "local" to me, and I hope to do them all. My friend is coming from France, so I'd like to "complete" a walk, and show him some of our amazing countryside.
Gommsta

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:58 am

I reckon the Rob Roy Way at that time of year, with the colours of the forest trees turning, would be very impressive. Remember that time of year is the Rut, the red deer mating season. If you hear stags bellowing, be careful. And carry a big stick! http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103&p=13448&hilit=stags#p13448
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby nigheandonn » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:29 am

I did St Cuthbert's Way at that time of year, and really enjoyed it - it would fit nicely into 5 days if you have an extra day to get on or off Holy Island (I did it in 6 days including travelling, short first and last day).
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion