walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Wee Blue Gem!

A Wee Blue Gem!

Postby seasgaich99 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:46 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Càrn Gorm

Date walked: 10/11/2013

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 735m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

My turn for the car. The roads looked fine, but a gritter was out in Strath Glass. A red squirrel skipped lightly across the road in front of us. I edged gingerly up and over the hump into Glen Cannich, round all those tight bends. A single-track glen this is, much too nice to hurry, even in the dry. After careful robing, especially with the gaiters, which several ascents of Sgòrr na Dìollaid reminded me would be useful today, we walked the hundred metres or so down to the little track to Craskie, treading carefully along the hitherto unseen crazed ice surface. I wheeked out my 1:25,000 1970s Second Series OS map, which, unlike any of my 1:50,000 jobs, covered all of our intended route. The plain concrete bridge slung low across the Cannich above a weir, however, did not feature on said map.

The morning was sharp, the chill more noticeable in these parts, shaded by the steep north face of Meall Dubh. An unoccupied cottage at Craskie and a handsome crag just a little to the west offered good foreground, the sun struggling over Meall Dubh to pick out woods and hillside beyond, with snow evident. The nip in the nostrils made it feel good to be right here. Stags roared up on the hill. Past the cottage, we were soon putting more effort into it to win through an admixture of heather, bracken and the odd bit of grass. Like a Christmas pudding with wings, a woodcock burst in alarm from a cranny by the Craskie Burn.

With a wee wriggle, we were through a loosely-strung fence then across the burn, pushing on through patches of bracken up to a cluster of rocks for a breather. Glen Cannich reveals, as hereabouts, plenty of evidence of fault-guided topography, and even at our relatively modest altitude, our eyes telescoped towards Loch Mullardoch and its mountains, Beinn Fhionnlaidh the star turn. The same line continues on to Loch Duich. A lone snow bunting bubbled overhead.

A tough push bore us up to a slender-cairned, nameless, but attractive top, the high point of another long rib running parallel to the crest line above, feeling much the same as the many approaches I’ve made from Glen Cannich to nearby Sgùrr na Dìollaid. We stopped here for lunch and got cameras busy, capturing what we could of the lovely contrasts of light and shade, and the palette of late Autumn colours. This top opens the wider view and offers a clear line, along the same rock rib, towards Loch Coir’ an Uillt Ghiubhais and on to our main hill. A dipper buzzed upstream as we sought a vague line around the lochan then tacked due east, the going soft, even over mostly unsupportive snow, right to the summit cairn. Another piece break, then a wander a little northward for a keek into Strath Farrar, none too fetching from this vantage, more woods and hill slopes, with no visible water bodies. We strained hard but failed to spot any walkers. On such a grand day, a few souls must surely have been out tackling those grand high ridges.

We reconvened down near the lochan. I peeled off to climb Sgòrr na Ruadhraich, another chopped-up blob on the north Cannich skyline with the same fault alignment evident in exposed rock measures. There’s a few interesting outcrops on this outlier, and rather more flattering angles on Càrn Gorm too. I re-joined Tony. Right down to the tree line, we continued to enjoy superb views in changing light. Down-sloping and damp heather stems then jungles of bracken kittled the temper as we strove to catch as much of the waterfalls and slides on the Craskie Burn as we could. I lost a lens cap during this stint. Our battles didn’t let up until we were more or less back at the cottage, smothered now in shadow. Bridge, road and car were still icy, and another careful drive was called for to return to Cannich.

Although I have travelled much and climbed some terrific mountains abroad, I consider myself fortunate indeed to live in a country with such landscape variety. Fortunate too that I can still look forward, fitness notwithstanding, to walking amongst mountains that complement each other so well. Like many Corbetts, the Grahams very often stand apart, offering quite different perspectives on the bigger tops. The ticking game goes on, but the rewards linger long in the memory. A hearty “slaintè!” to this latest little gem.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Attachments
CRW_6565.jpg
The icy low-slung concrete ramp across the River Cannich
CRW_6567.jpg
Craskie cottage
CRW_6568.jpg
The Craskie lochans
CRW_6570.jpg
Upper Glen Cannich from the slender cairn atop 638m rock-ribbed outlier
CRW_6572.jpg
Tony heads down to the col - Càrn Gorm on the right
CRW_6576.jpg
Sgùrr na Lapaich semi-emergent, and Sgòrr na Dìollaid, beyond Loch Coir' an Uillt Ghiubhais
CRW_6582.jpg
Sgòrr na Dìollaid left; a wisp of cloud tickles Sgùrr Chòinnich and Sgùrr a' Chaorachain
CRW_6586.jpg
Càrn Gorm from Sgùrr na Ruadhraich
CRW_6590.jpg
The magic continues: Glenn Cannich sweeps west to Loch Mullardoch, flanked by grand big Munros
CRW_6594.jpg
Diverting cascades on the Craskie Burn
CRW_6600.jpg
Autumnal contrasts along the River Cannich
Last edited by seasgaich99 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seasgaich99
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:216
Fionas:113   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:7   Islands:24

Re: A Wee Blue Gem!

Postby rockhopper » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:48 pm

A fine viewpoint :thumbup: - that looks a good walk for a winter's day - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby seasgaich99 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:27 am

rockhopper wrote:A fine viewpoint :thumbup: - that looks a good walk for a winter's day - cheers :)

Aye. If you're in the zone, it's a wee cracker. :wink:
seasgaich99
Munro compleatist

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:59 am

Lovely, more mountain temptations :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby malky_c » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:28 pm

Not a bad hill, this. Much nicer colours than when I went up it a couple of years ago :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby seasgaich99 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:13 am

malky_c wrote:Not a bad hill, this. Much nicer colours than when I went up it a couple of years ago :)

I read your report a while back, and enjoyed it. I've had many days of poor views and dead reckoning, so tend to wait for better weather and company, as the views are always great compensation for effort expended! :wink:
seasgaich99
Munro compleatist

Postby seasgaich99 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:15 am

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Lovely, more mountain temptations :D

Thanks for your reply. Mountain temptations are a major reason for my being attracted to this site, and long may they continue being posted! :wink:
seasgaich99
Munro compleatist

Postby seasgaich99 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:18 am

rockhopper wrote:A fine viewpoint :thumbup: - that looks a good walk for a winter's day - cheers :)

Well said. One of the charms of the Grahams is that they stand a good chance of staying clear, as well as the great views you can get from their summits. :wink:
seasgaich99
Munro compleatist

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:12 pm

That looks a wee cracker of a hill! I think also you chose the right time of year to climb it, some wonderful autumnal colours, looks hard going lower down, but the views were well worth the effort. Lovely photographs to boot! :)

By the way glad you joined, nice reports! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby seasgaich99 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:24 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:That looks a wee cracker of a hill! I think also you chose the right time of year to climb it, some wonderful autumnal colours, looks hard going lower down, but the views were well worth the effort. Lovely photographs to boot! :)

By the way glad you joined, nice reports! :D

Good man - thanks for the encouragement.

Glen Cannich is one of the best places to go to see and hear bellowing stags. In fact, like Strath Farrar, red deer are hard to miss once they're rutting or feeding lower down in the glen.

Great site, this, and a perfect diversion for anyone keen on mountains. :wink:
seasgaich99
Munro compleatist

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland