walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

binnein beag

binnein beag

Postby NickyRannoch » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:52 pm

I missed out on binnein beag on my mamores trip due to a combination of weather, light and hangover ( it looked so far away) and figured i would go back another time.

Has anybody gone up or down there from Glen Nevis. From memory and from the map following the Allt an tuim riabhaich looks a simple enough, if boggy, proposition. However I know from experience that what looks like a lovely riverside walk on the 1:50k can be an erse clenching scramble alongside a precipitous gorge. Has anyone done this from this side?
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Re: binnein beag

Postby jmarkb » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:48 pm

I have done it from the Nevis side. I can't recall exactly the line we took, but I think we crossed the Water of Nevis in the vicinity of the obvious bend at NN214689 and headed more-or-less straight up from there. If I recall correctly, the path beyond Steall does get a bit boggy, and you wouldn't want to go this way if the river is in spate. The ascent of the hill is a bit of a dull slog from this side, really: despite the height loss required, the path from Kinlochleven via Coire an Lochan is more scenic and easier going under foot. Whichever side you approach it from, combining it with the scramble on the NE ridge of Binnein Mor is worthwhile.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby malky_c » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:09 pm

I've done it from this side. I don't remember any specific difficulties other than it being a bit wet. This was our route as best as I remember:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6240
I think we did Binnein Beag last and came down most of it in the dark.

I second jmarkb's suggestion of the NE ridge of Binnein Mor - done this a couple of times and it is a fine easy scramble. The quartzy rock is a bit slippy in the wet though.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby NickyRannoch » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:13 pm

Cheers for the reply.

The plan was just to nip up and bag on it on the way through towards Corrour from Fort Wiliam but I think you would be right about the southern approach being a better option.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:07 pm

I led a party of my work mates up and down Binnein Beag from Glen Nevis a few years back on a claggy day in May, when we had decided the weather wasn't good enough to tackle some of the bigger Mamores - I think we all enjoyed the walk in up Glen Nevis, some of the party found the scree and boulders near the summit a bit unpleasant and we lost my boss for a while in the mist, but all in all I'd recommend it as a fairly easy/enjoyable day out, with great scenery all round, particularly if you are going that way anyway.

BtB
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Postby rockhopper » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:51 pm

Similar to the above - returned to Glen Nevis directly NW from BB which was rocky and slippy but managed to find some stones to help the water crossing - then the long walk back to the car.
Map at the start of: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22582
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion