walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ted Jackson

Ted Jackson

Postby AlisonFox66 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:45 pm

I noticed this on another forum . Seems Ted died on the Harris hills last weekend
I only met him once - on a bus from Elgin to Dufftown , and as a fellow bagger by public transport we had a lot to chat about . He gave me lots of advice , even on that short trip,
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Ted Jackson

Postby Moobli » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:16 pm

It was terrible news indeed about Ted's death :( I always very much enjoyed his walk reports and photos on SHills.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-26611459

Ted's sister has started a FB page in his memory, and I am sure there will be some on here who knew Ted who would like to say a few words, so I hope it is okay to post the link,

https://www.facebook.com/RIPTedJackson
Moobli
Wanderer

Postby Sgurr » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:06 pm

I mainly post as Squiz on Scottishhills and only drop in here infrequently. I never met Ted personally, but any time either of us thought the other could help re. an obscure Marilyn, we would be in touch. Endlessly helpful on anything from footwear to how to avoid the dread Dregorn Little Chef, from unorthodox ways of hitching a lift to standing up to the gas man, he seemed, and I am sure was, a genuinely nice person through and through as well as an all weather hill walker. The year before last Marhofn had him as mad bagger of the year, with around 250 Marilyns to his name, and when I asked about last year, said that he would keep the title.

He would read trip reports carefully and always find something encouraging to say about them, hoowever short and sketchy, always signing off with "Thanks for posting."

If you want to see how well liked he was, go to

http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=16888

He will leave a huge hole in the Scottishhills community, as well as in Preston.
RCFC from Scottishhills is organising a collection for the MRT in his memory.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby rockhopper » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:52 pm

I would fully agree with you, Sgurr. Like you, I never met him but felt I had through reading his contributions and reports - he always seemed such a nice guy, very helpful, positive and encouraging. It was actually an approach he described in one of his posts which should hopefully help in my next outing. As others have said, he'll be sorely missed.
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby malky_c » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:53 pm

I was sad to hear this too. I walked with Ted last year, and was hoping to get out on the hills with him again in the future. A great guy, with a no-nonsense, low key kind of attitude to walking. It was always interesting to see where he was going to pop up next - some field in the south of England or the Bhastier Tooth - you never knew.
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Robinho08 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:27 pm

A terrible loss to the hillwalking community. Ted's ability to bag endless hills using public transport was exeptional.

A great guy who'll be sadly missed.

RIP Ted.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion