walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

an old man on Hoy

an old man on Hoy

Postby litljortindan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:20 pm

Route description: The Old Man of Hoy from Rackwick

Date walked: 24/03/2014

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 360m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Promising weather forecasts persuaded me to make the trip to Hoy. Got to the start of the Old Man path at 1pm and plodded my way up to the high point of the fine path. Views back to Rackwick Bay were great, especially in the bright and blustery conditions.
DSCN2629v2.jpg
Rackwick Bay cliffs
DSCN2632v2.jpg
Rackwick Bay
DSCN2639v2.jpg
the start of the Old Man of Hoy path

The path curves towards the coast and soon brings you right to a cliff edge, albeit only for a short way. At the most westerly and highest point both Rackwick Bay cliffs and the top of the Old Man can just about be made out. An unexpected sight to the north west was a waterfall being blown back over the cliff.
DSCN2655v2.jpg
cliffs and waterfall to the north west

The continuation to the Old Man is quite flat and so fast and easy going and the final the approach to this sea stack is over short grass with very fine cliffs to the west and the immense line of cliffs leading to St John's Head to the east. As if that wasn't enough to take the breath away, the sudden sight of the full height of the Old Man completes the scene. On this day the gusty wind made for a nervous exploration of the area as I was being blown sideways with alarming frequency. Still, in the lulls I was able to get some photos and video.
DSCN2658v2.jpg
cliffs west of the Old Man
DSCN2662v2.jpg
The Old Man as photographed by an auld man
DSCN2664v2.jpg
another of the Old Man of Hoy

The route east to St John's Head sees the path dwindle to a narrow furrow through the grass. The wind confined me to a safety first approach, keeping well back from the cliff edge. Nevertheless, occasional dips in the cliff line opened up views northwards and, as height was gained, views back west to the Old Man.
DSCN2697v2.jpg
looking back to the Old Man

DSCN2703v2.jpg
west end of St John's Head

Once beyond St John's Head and looking back at its east face, the scenery became very grand indeed. The scale of the cliff face and the distant ocean below combined to create an other worldly appearance. It is described as being Britain's highest vertical sea cliff after all so one should expect the unexpected there I suppose. The facts and figures of scale never prepare you for the reality though.
DSCN2716v2.jpg
east face of St John's Head
DSCN2720v2.jpg
east face of St John's Head
DSCN2721v2.jpg
St John's Head
DSCN2723v2.jpg
St John's Head
DSCN2737v2.jpg
Old Man of Hoy

It was too cold and blustery a day to linger for long though so I was soon on my way back to Rackwick Bay. With a mile to go I got a reminder that not all is well with my body still, my boot pressing painfully into swelling in my left leg. So I laid down for a while with my legs elevated onto my rucksack. Didn't seem to help much but the rest was useful and I got back to the car without too much difficulty. I decided to phone Hoy Hotel for accommodation instead of using the bothy and I am glad I did. The hotel is a bit dingy looking outside but very pleasant inside. I got a great night's rest there and woke to more blustery weather but with more of a threat of rain in the clouds. So an easy day was on the cards and a saunter along the track on the slopes of Wee Fea followed by a walk up Midland Hill on the mainland fitted the bill. Felt a bit Neolithic for a moment whilst climbing the stile there but not too bad soon after.

Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by litljortindan on Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: an old man on Hoy

Postby John Doh » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:07 pm

Good stuff! I saw the Old Man on the Nortlink Ferry to Stromness but would love to come as near as you did!

:clap:
John Doh

Sub 2000:2   
Islands:39

Postby gaffr » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:24 pm

Hello,
The first time that I had even heard of the Old man of Hoy was in 1966 when staying at the BMC place in Glen Brittle. Two of the folks also staying there had been down to Portree and came back with a newspaper showing a picture, on the front cover, of Tom Patey and Co. standing on the top of the stack. I think some newspaper guy had got wind of this....I wonder who from. :) and had seated himself into an aircraft to get the image. In 2002, a few months before my sixtieth birthday, I had the immense pleasure of getting to the top of the stack.....my younger friend lead the scary second pitch of the climb. :D A very special day.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby litljortindan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:06 pm

John Doh wrote:Good stuff! I saw the Old Man on the Nortlink Ferry to Stromness but would love to come as near as you did!

:clap:

Thanks.
Was on the same ferry a couple of years ago:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24429
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:10 pm

gaffr wrote:Hello,
The first time that I had even heard of the Old man of Hoy was in 1966 when staying at the BMC place in Glen Brittle. Two of the folks also staying there had been down to Portree and came back with a newspaper showing a picture, on the front cover, of Tom Patey and Co. standing on the top of the stack. I think some newspaper guy had got wind of this....I wonder who from. :) and had seated himself into an aircraft to get the image. In 2002, a few months before my sixtieth birthday, I had the immense pleasure of getting to the top of the stack.....my younger friend lead the scary second pitch of the climb. :D A very special day.

Well done on climbing it. Don't think I'd manage that even when fit. Quite a sight for the walker too.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby GillC » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:14 pm

Beautiful! Passed the Old Man in 1989 on my way to Orkney for a holiday,,,didn't see him,,too busy throwing up over the other side of the ferry lol always wanted a return trip,,with some sea sickness tablets to hand lol

Lovely pictures there, :D
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby rockhopper » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:40 pm

That looked a good wander with some nice views - have never been out here but would like to some day - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby basscadet » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:13 pm

My dad climbed it around 1970.. I had no idea, and he had forgotten, but a CD of scanned old photos was sent to him in mysterious circumstances recently.. and they are amazing! Couldn't imagine doing anything like that in a million years! :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby litljortindan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:50 pm

GillC wrote:Beautiful! Passed the Old Man in 1989 on my way to Orkney for a holiday,,,didn't see him,,too busy throwing up over the other side of the ferry lol always wanted a return trip,,with some sea sickness tablets to hand lol

Lovely pictures there, :D

A shame you didn't see anything. I did enjoy the ferry trip to Stromness when I went that way and can definitely recommend Hoy generally.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:53 pm

rockhopper wrote:That looked a good wander with some nice views - have never been out here but would like to some day - cheers :)

You could probably do one of your extended walks there to take in all the main hills. That would be quite a walk. I wouldn't go in skua season though.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:00 pm

basscadet wrote:My dad climbed it around 1970.. I had no idea, and he had forgotten, but a CD of scanned old photos was sent to him in mysterious circumstances recently.. and they are amazing! Couldn't imagine doing anything like that in a million years! :lol:

Supposedly Europe's tallest sea stack. Whether or not that's true it is pretty impressive. Then you have St John's Head which looks like a sea stack in the making and is two and a half times as high as the Old Man.

What a thing for your dad to forget though! You should put a report together of his ascent. Would surely win a prize?
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby John Doh » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:56 pm

litljortindan wrote:
basscadet wrote:My dad climbed it around 1970.. I had no idea, and he had forgotten, but a CD of scanned old photos was sent to him in mysterious circumstances recently.. and they are amazing! Couldn't imagine doing anything like that in a million years! :lol:

Supposedly Europe's tallest sea stack. Whether or not that's true it is pretty impressive. Then you have St John's Head which looks like a sea stack in the making and is two and a half times as high as the Old Man.

What a thing for your dad to forget though! You should put a report together of his ascent. Would surely win a prize?

Aye, come on, post these pics :thumbup:
John Doh

Sub 2000:2   
Islands:39

Postby basscadet » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:47 pm

I'll try and get a copy.. There are some others we weren't able to identify the location as well, so maybe posting them up will answer some questions :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland