walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Breabag wae a Bawbag

Breabag wae a Bawbag

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:28 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Breabag

Date walked: 28/03/2014

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 848m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Todays walk was my 3rd day out on the hills out of a total of 6 days walking, during the WH meet in Inchnadamph. Today’s target was Breabag with Johnny Corbett and Jacqui.
P1040050.JPG
Starting point

We started the walk at the car park on the A837 4km south of the Inchnadamph lodge where we were staying.
IMG_0073.JPG
inchnadamph lodge

We headed east following the good path alongside the Allt nan Uamh.
P1040051.JPG
Heading up the Allt nan Uamh

Just under 2km the path forks and we decided to take the right fork up towards the Bone Caves.
P1040052.JPG
Bone caves

P1040053.JPG
Caves

IMG_0075.JPG
Chufty in the caves

IMG_0109.JPG
Caves

We had a nosey in the Bone Caves for around 15 minutes and then continued east along the high path narrow in sections passed the caves.

After ½ km the path turns north to head back down the hill. There was another path higher up which we decided against taking.
Here Jacqui and I suggested that we continue slightly south east across heathery terrain towards Breabag. However Johnny was keen to continue to head south along a stalkers path.
At the end of the stalkers path we decided to head directly east to gain the ridge of Breabag. Here we encountered huge slabs. At this point Johnny the Bawbag starts to get ratty as we try and decide the best option over these slabs towards Breabag.
Johnny was not for having 2 women navigating him to the summit so he decides to climb quickly and directly over the huge slabs in a wee strop :lol:
We continue south over grassy and heather terrain and then east over rocky areas to the huge summit cairn.
P1040058.JPG
whats keeping you Johnny C ?

P1040059.JPG
summit pic

IMG_0114.JPG
summit pic

As this point the wind picked up and it was extremely cold so we took ourselves down to a sheltered area out of the wind for some fuel supplies.
Some cracking views were seen over to Suilven and canisp :D
IMG_0113.JPG
view to Canisp and Suilven

IMG_0120.JPG

After a quick bite to eat… we waved our goodbyes to Jacqui who was heading to climb Ben More Assynt and Conival… Good on you Jacqui.
IMG_0121.JPG

Johnny Bawbag and I headed north west in the direction of the Allt nan Uamh avoiding the slabs and pick up the path on the right hand side of the Allt nan Uamh. Back to the car park in 4 hours 30mins and head further north to climb Glas Bheinn. A cracking wee walk on a great dry day :thumbup:
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by mountain thyme on Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Breabag wae a Bawbag

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:25 am

I did not realized yet that there is a Corbett to bag behind the bone caves...I think this will be added to my bucket list :D Many thanks for sharing
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:29 am

Another nice wee hill, for the next time though! Aye Johnny Corbett sometime the most direct route is not always the quickest way :lol: :lol: But I guess he was looking for adventure, was that right JC :lol: :lol: Nice to meet up with you at last, Rod
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:38 am

Mountainlove wrote:I did not realized yet that there is a Corbett to bag behind the bone caves...Neither did MT until i told her :crazy:
The Rodmiester wrote:Another nice wee hill, for the next time though! Aye Johnny Corbett sometime the most direct route is not always the quickest way :lol: :lol: But I guess he was looking for adventure, was that right JC :lol: :lol: Nice to meet up with you at last, Rod
Aye you're right Rod, good to see you Rod. MT i hope appropriate action is taken against you by the administrators for that title :wink:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:28 pm

Mountainlove wrote:I did not realized yet that there is a Corbett to bag behind the bone caves...I think this will be added to my bucket list :D Many thanks for sharing

Cheers ML . Lovely wee walk. Recommend it :D

The Rodmiester wrote:Another nice wee hill, for the next time though! Aye Johnny Corbett sometime the most direct route is not always the quickest way :lol: :lol: But I guess he was looking for adventure, was that right JC :lol: :lol: Nice to meet up with you at last, Rod

Cheers RM. Think he should have been looking at the map rather than for an adventure :crazy:

Johnny Corbett wrote:
Mountainlove wrote:I did not realized yet that there is a Corbett to bag behind the bone caves...Neither did MT until i told her :crazy:
Aye you're right Rod, good to see you Rod. MT i hope appropriate action is taken against you by the administrators for that title :wink:

The admin would probably agree :lol:
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland