walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Slioch

Slioch

Postby steven65 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:12 am

Route description: Slioch, near Kinlochewe

Munros included on this walk: Slioch

Date walked: 30/03/2014

Time taken: 8.15 hours

Distance: 19.3 km

Ascent: 1169m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hoping for better weather - as per forecast - I drove up on Saturday night 29/3 & slept in the car for 5 hours at the viewpoint car park in Glen Docherty - this is a bit naughty as overnight parking is discouraged there.
No Oskar with me as I decided to have a quiet day on my own .
In the morning upon arrival at the proper parking area at Incheril there were 5 vehicles parked up , im pretty sure I was 1st away as no-one else was around. So off at 0634 - it was a nice dry morning quite mild with a wee promise of sun , moving along the lovely riverbank towards Loch Maree the wind fairly picked up and chilled things down.
Upon reaching the wooden footbridge over the Abhainn an Fhasaigh I chatted to a guy who`d camped there over night - the fierce wind having nearly blown him away - by contrast it had been very quiet where I`d slept in my car at the viewpoint up the glen. Moving on now the waterfalls past the wooden footbridge were very noisy - but the ground generally wasn`t too wet. There is an easy path / route to follow from here up towards Meall Eachat at 525M & then skirt round Sgurr Dubh into Coire na Sleaghaich. At the bealach I stopped and enjoyed a break watching a group of friendly deer very close by who didn`t run off at all. The route of ascent from the Coire up to the lochans is easy to see/follow in the very clear conditions that I enjoyed , once above the lochans things do steepen up quite a bit on the pull up onto Slioch itself. some cloud dissapointingly blew through as I topped out on the 1st top before moving along to the true top at 980M. I sat here for 30 mins or so hoping for better visibility , but unfortunately it wasn`t fabulous at all. After a short break I made my way back down the same route , meeting a couple at the lochans on their way up , we chatted briefly before I moved on , passing 2 guys in the coire below me.
Once back over the wooden footbridge it was a pleasant walk back out in warmer condtions and even a wee bit of sun now !! I took a few pictures of the feral goats living here & of the views to Beinn Eighe area - another LONG drive for a single munro - no fotos here but on FB via TH. A great hill this - I enjoyed it very much.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland