walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Route Question for a 3 weeks Trip to Northern Scotland

Route Question for a 3 weeks Trip to Northern Scotland

Postby Austrian Walker » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:57 am

Dear Forum Members,
as a new Member to this great forum and a first time visitor to Scotland (coming from Salzburg, Austria), I would like to ask a question concerning the route for my trip.
I will start my journey in about two weeks from Edinburgh with a camper, the trip will last 3 weeks. My main interests are exploring nature, hiking and first of all photographing, as I'm a dedicated nature and landscape photographer.
It's not my intention to drive a lot but rather have time to explore and hike special places and find great scenery in hopefully good light. I've already got advice from The Headmiester who mentioned Skye, Assynt and Torridon Area.
Now I'm contemplating the Route to take:
Should I go up the east coast to Aberdeen and the Caimgorms to Inverness and Ulapool and then down to Skye and then back via Glen Coe and Loch Lomond?
Would you suggest another route?
Which special area, hill or whatsoever would you recommend to visit? (Have read about bluebells blooming in spring?)
Any advice appreciated by the somehow lost Austrian Walker.
Cheers
Franz
Austrian Walker
Munro compleatist

Re: Route Question for a 3 weeks Trip to Northern Scotland

Postby scoob999 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:24 pm

Hi Franz

Personally I would plan my trip around the weather, the west coast has without doubt all you are looking for, but is also prone to the wettest weather :( the east side of the country is usually drier and is only a few hrs drive from the west, us being a small country :wink: so I would think a bit of jumping back and forth might be useful.

Agree with the suggestions above, would be worth a drive down Glen Etive while you're in Glen Coe and also a visit to Glenfinnin and Moidart east of Fort William.

Highly recommend Skye as well, but pick your weather wisely.

The Quirang is easily worth a day trip, endless photo opportunities on Skye if the weather is good especially walks into the Cuillin Corries without doing anything tricky, also the boat from Elgol to Loch Courusk would be high on my list too

I would possibly look up the BBC website http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167 and get used to how to read the weather :? usually the most accurate for a day or two ahead.

Hope you enjoy your trip and you get good weather? because if you do that means we get good weather too 8)
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion