walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion

Schiehallion

Postby U059361 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:58 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 15/04/2014

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 731m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather forecast was good so the car park was busy. Creative parking became the norm shortly after I arrived at 11am. The car park ticket machine wasn't working :wink: yippee free parking. Saw a man packing skis onto his back pack. Didn't see him up there but there were some good patches to try.
ImageSchiehallion from car park by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Good walking up the path till a solitary snow bank had to be crossed. Put on another layer here as it was windy. Up on the top, its pretty rough walking in bits. Finally reached the big patches of snow and stuck my spikes on just in case. Was firm enough, so kept to snow as its easier than rocks.
ImageSchiehallion from top by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageKinloch Rannoch by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
It was busy up top like the car park. Space to sit was at a premium.
A couple erected a mast at the top to test something, not sure what.
schiehallion.jpg
Some people will go to any lengths to order Domino Pizza for lunch!!!

Had my lunch at the top. Sun, snow and fab view, doesn't get any better than this. Was reluctant to head back down, more sunbathing. Eventually hit the road and walked on snow as far as I possibly could.
ImageLawers Range by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Back on the scree it was a bit more exposed. Eventually shed my extra layer past the last snow bank and back to the car park. Cars scattered all around, but people were still going up at 3pm.
Great walk.
U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Re: Schiehallion

Postby rockhopper » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:25 pm

Nice set of photos :thumbup: Have also met people carrying equipment up then erecting masts - think one of them was wanting to do some sort of broadcast from each hill he climbed - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland