walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Easiest way ?

Easiest way ?

Postby Have A Guid Yin » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:02 pm

My hubby and I are planning to cycle part of the West Highland Way, from Bridge of Orchy to Kingshouse in June.
We'll be doing a lot of walking too, as we're keen but slow cyclists and will have to puff and pant our way up the hills, while pushing our bikes.
We do lots of off road cycling around our local countryside in East Lothian but there's not a lot of hills to go up here.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone will be able to advise, which will be the easiest direction for us to cycle in.
As in, will it be less hilly going from Bridge of Orchy to Kingshouse, or going in the opposite direction from Kingshouse to Bridge of Orchy?

I'll be 50 in June and me old legs ain't what they used to be lol
Thank you :D
Have A Guid Yin
Bird-watcher

Re: Easiest way ?

Postby jmarkb » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:12 pm

There's a profile of the route here: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=324

Going Kingshouse to Bridge of Orchy has 100m less climbing than the other way round, and there's not much to choose in terms of the steepness of the uphills.

You could avoid the hill between Inveroran and Bridge of Orchy by staying on the road.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby IanEzzi » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:32 pm

If you are riding from Bridge of Orchy to Kingshouse, then the big final descent towards Glen Coe ski centre may be a love/hate style affair. I remember it being rocky and loose with a few tricky steps and ruts to negotiate. Great fun if you're a keen mountainbiker, but if you prefer your riding a bit more sedate, you might as well just push up this (if you're going to be pushing the climbs anyway) and enjoy the slightly smoother, simpler descent down the other side.
IanEzzi

Munros:173   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:2

Postby Scott69 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:34 pm

To be honest it's a pretty flat route and not that far, about a four hour wander on foot so would be a scoosh on a bike. Perhaps best to go south to north just to get a great view opening up to Glencoe when you come over Meall a'Bhuiridh.
Scott69
Munro compleatist

Munros:254   Corbetts:46
Fionas:8   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Have A Guid Yin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:15 pm

Great thanks, really appreciate all your replies :D
Have A Guid Yin
Bird-watcher

Postby Sgurr » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:02 pm

If you are planning doing much cycling in Scotland (and from where I stand, 50 is YOUNG) it might be worth trying to pick up a Contour Road Book of Scotland which give you a profile (Like a sort of graph) of most routes. This is what it looks like from Amazon

but you could possibly pick it up cheaper from HERE
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion