walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

West Highland Way alternative routes (6th-11th May 2014)

West Highland Way alternative routes (6th-11th May 2014)

Postby andrewl7642 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:30 pm

After reading "Not the West Highland Way", a book by Ronald Turnbull, I have put together a plan of action for backpacking the West Highland Way over 6 days, using alternative routes.

It will be a backpacking trip covering between 14-19 miles per day, and will include some wild camping.

Due to time restriction I'll be starting from Rowardennan then heading back on a different date to cover Milngavie to Rowardennan .

Rowardennan to Inversnaid

Alternative Routes:
(Ben Lomond Circuit (6-7 miles / 3-4 hours)
Hill Crossing: Ben Lomond to Inversnaid (11 miles, but avoids the Rowchoish bothy route)

Inversnaid to Inverarnan (6 miles / 3 hours)

Alternate Routes:
Small Hillside Trip: Cnap Mor (10 mins)
Hill Crossing from Inversnaid Hotel to Inverarnan via Ben a Choin (9 miles/6 hrs)

Campsite at Beinglas or wild camping end of Loch Lomond or Doune Byre Bothy

Inverarnan to Crianlarich (6 miles / 3 - 4 hours)
Crianlarich to Tyndrum (6 miles / 3 - 4 hours)

Alternative Routes:
Day trip up Beinn Chabhair circuit from Inverarnan (9.5 miles/7 hrs)
Crianlarich Day trip – An Caisteal & Bein a Chroin (13.5 miles/8 hours) OR Ben More
Inverarnan to Tyndrum Hill Crossing: Ben Lui (13.5 miles/7hrs) (skipping Crianlarich)

Camping at “By the Way”?
or Wild Camp up Ben Lui Northern Corrie

Tyndrum to Bridge of Orchy (7 miles / 3 - 4 hours)
Bridge of Orchy to Inveroran (2 miles / 1 - 2 hours)
(or long way round to Inveroran from Bridge of Orchy via Inveroran Day trip below)

Alternative Routes:
Tyndrum to Bridge of Orchy Hill crossing via back of Ben Dorain (15.5 miles)

Wild Camping at Inveroran or Bridge of Orchy

Inveroran to Kingshouse (10 miles / 4 - 5 hours)

Alternative Routes:
Inveroran Day trip – Ben Inverveigh and Meall tairbh (7.5 miles/4.5hrs)
Black Mount Hill Crossing from Inveroran to Kingshouse (13 miles / 9 hours)

Camping at Glencoe Mountain resort or Wild camping by river at Kingshouse

Kingshouse to Kinlochleven (9 miles / 4 - 5 hours)

Alternative Routes:
Hill Crossing from Kingshouse to Kinlochleven (10 miles/5.5 hrs)

Camping at McDonald Hotel or Blackwater Hostel Campsite

Kinlochleven to Fort William - 16 miles (24 km) / 7 - 8 hours

Alternative Routes:
Mamores & More Mamores (14.5 miles) .

Camping at Glen Nevis OR a night indoors

Return Home OR
Ben Nevis via Nevis Bridge route (14.5 miles)

If interested in joining me on my adventures please get in touch and we can discuss in more detail. A little company is better than no company.

Cheers,

Andy.
Last edited by andrewl7642 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:04 am, edited 8 times in total.
andrewl7642
Scrambler

Munros:16   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: The West Highland Way in May using alternative routes

Postby cecilsson » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:22 am

Hi Andrew. I am beginning my WHW trip May 16 and have an optimistic plan, a realistic plan, and a plan C.
I will be starting May 16, just after noon - I fly in from Canada that morning. I hope to be in Fort William by May 23 however so the 9 days is out.
My optimistic plan is about 15 miles a day with as many Munros as I can handle. I will be wild camping May 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, and 22.
I can send you my optimistic plan if you would like. I am going solo so far but some company would be nice.
Michael
cecilsson
Mountaineer

Postby andrewl7642 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:45 pm

Hi Michael,

Are you also going by the "Not the West Highland Way" book?

I did the West Highland Way the normal route last year, it took us 7 days and that is without any munro bagging, so I figure the only way to fit Munro bagging into the schedule is to take the High roads described in Robert Turnbull's book. I hadn't planned to walk it again so soon but after realising there are alternative routes and munros to be bagged nearby, it just has to be done.

So fire away with your optimistic plan, it will be interesting to read and might attract more attention from other users of the forum too. Ideally it would be good to get a small team of 3 or 4 together.

is this your first time in Scotland?
andrewl7642
Scrambler

Postby weebirdie » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:52 pm

This sounds so cool! I just got back from the WHW (Traditional route) and whereas I absolutely loved most of it, I would have been glad of a few different routes to get me away from things - I still felt awfully close to civilisation for most of it.

Just a few notes that may help - when we were there (9th April), the bothy that I can't spell (Rowanthingie) is very tricky to get to because the lower level walk from Rowardennan is essentially closed as dangerous (not sure whether that is just for now or, as my Footprint map says, a permanent thing). We did meet people who ignored the signs and admitted they had a terrible time getting to the bothy (I believe a bit in front of it is being redone by the Forestry Commission and there is a diversion that takes you well out of the way, and then you double back to it but I'm not sure, we went through Rowardennan Forest instead which was boring but hey, I have real balance issues and falling in the loch wasn't a priority!) only to get there to find it too full to stay in. I imagine it will be a lot busier in May.

The Forestry Commission are also still working between Sallochy Bay and Rowardennan so Ross Woods are closed off and the diversion is via a very boring road - they say they'll be finished by May but I understand from someone working on it that it probably won't finish on time. (There is also a nasty, steep and slippery diversion in place just behind Glen Nevis campsite whilst they tree-fell that plays havoc on one's knees). And some of the forest at Tyndrum (past the Bogle Glen area) is a bloody mess as well, and not what you need after wading through cow poo (YAY ADVENTURE!!).

Are you carrying all your stuff or using a courier for the heavy stuff? If the latter, they will not drop at Sallochy because it isn't manned and doesn't have dry shelter. The folk at Millarochy Bay site are lovely, though, and if you phone them in advance they will arrange to have bags dropped with them even if you're not stopping there. I can't comment on Cashel because I had a big argument with them last year and have since refused to set foot in the place. Also, if wild camping at Inversnaid, get your bags dropped at the Hotel, not the Bunkhouse, as that's about a mile each way from the wild camping site. We learnt this the hard way. (Actually, we didn't. We got a last minute booking because we'd just come from Millarochy in the pouring rain and I was having a wibbly and I cried like a sap and couldn't possibly go on and stayed at the bunkhouse and it's ace!).
weebirdie
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby weebirdie » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:02 am

Also, can highly recommend By The Way in Tyndrum - great indoor area for cooking, good drying room, great showers; and Beinglas. Who also have a bar (always handy).

We wild camped next to the bridge at Bridge of Orchy. Not our finest moment. River very loud, should have pitched in the woods instead. And it was blowing a gale. Glad we stopped there, though, as Inveroran's site was completely waterlogged when we got there in the morning. By the time we got to Kingshouse they were telling wild campers not to pitch and sending them up to the Glencoe resort instead as their site was getting seriously waterlogged and it was blowing a hooley.
weebirdie
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby cecilsson » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:46 am

andrewl7642 wrote:Hi Michael,

Are you also going by the "Not the West Highland Way" book?

I did the West Highland Way the normal route last year, it took us 7 days and that is without any munro bagging, so I figure the only way to fit Munro bagging into the schedule is to take the High roads described in Robert Turnbull's book. I hadn't planned to walk it again so soon but after realising there are alternative routes and munros to be bagged nearby, it just has to be done.

So fire away with your optimistic plan, it will be interesting to read and might attract more attention from other users of the forum too. Ideally it would be good to get a small team of 3 or 4 together.

is this your first time in Scotland?

Hi Andrew. Yes, it will be my first trip to Scotland. My bucket list 60th birthday grand adventure. I have the Not The WHW book but my plan was conceived over several miserable Canadian winter months by reading these forums, following the route using Google Earth and the route maps. My optimistic plan is probably unrealistic, but since I am heading across the pond by myself I thought I might as well cram as much into each day as I can, so here goes.

Day 1- May 16 fly into Edinburgh @ 9:20, catch a bus to Glasgow then on to Milngavie, hopefully in time to pick up a few things at the Tesco, grab a bite to eat and leave for Drymen by 1:00...eat at the Clachan Inn and continue on to camp in the Garadhban Forest, close to the Burn of Mar.

Day 2- May 17 up early (6:00?), climb Conic, find something to eat in Balmaha then on to Rowardennan for lunch. Climb ben Lomond then, Cruinn a' Bheinn and head across to the Inversnaid Bunkhouse to eat before continuing as far as Doune Bothy.

Day 3- May 18 up early and eat at Beinglas then ( and this is where it gets a little crazy) make my way to Crianlarich via Beinn Chabhair, An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chroin, Beinn Tulaichean, and Cruach Ardrain. I have a room for this night.

Shall I go on??
cecilsson
Mountaineer

Postby cecilsson » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:59 am

weebirdie wrote:This sounds so cool! I just got back from the WHW (Traditional route) and whereas I absolutely loved most of it, I would have been glad of a few different routes to get me away from things - I still felt awfully close to civilisation for most of it.

Are you carrying all your stuff or using a courier for the heavy stuff?.

I will be carrying everything I bring from Canada with me. My gear weighs in at around 12 kg with food, water and deodorant. I hope to eat my meals in pubs and cafés.
cecilsson
Mountaineer

Postby andrewl7642 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:46 pm

Michael,

Your plan is looking good but you might be disappointed when you come to camp at Garadhban Forest, as I was last year when I discovered most of it has been cut down by the damned Forestry Commission! It seems they are out to ruin every forest in the Scottish Highlands lately, which is no good for us happy campers and forest ravers. :?

There is however a small campsite (Drumquhassle Farm) just about a mile before Drymen. That's maybe your best option for your first night. It gets pretty busy though so unless you're there at a decent time you might not get a pitch.

I've actually had a slight change in my plans now as I realised I won't be able to take 9 days so I'm having to split my trip into two separate ones.

I'll be starting from Rowardennan 6 May and heading for Inverarnan, taking mostly the high roads/alternative routes to reach Fort William on 11/12 May and heading home on the 12th.

I'll then be returning on 17th May, to walk the Campsie Fells to Drymen and the top of Conic Hill reaching Rowardennan end of day 2. Haven't worked out how I'm getting back from Rowardennan yet though!! Maybe I'll just swim out to one of the peaceful little islands on Loch Lomond and stay there. Ah Bliss.

Any questions Michael just ask as I know the route very well after walking it last year, might be able to recommend some good camping spots for you.

and Wee Birdie...

Thanks for the info.
One of the reasons I'm going back this year is to visit the Rowchoich (McThingie) bothy because I missed it last year. I had no idea it was even there, so I'm determined to find it this time , even if it means falling in the loch. :lol:

I read that the path down to it is closed while they make it safer but the uneven natural path is all part of the adventure surely. I actually think it's the Forestry Commissions excuse for cutting down more trees to be honest, as they seem to be ripping down every forest out there at the mo, with no care in the world. :roll:

I'll be carrying all my gear, start to finish too, all part of the adventure, great way to lose weight plus hundreds of pounds cheaper! :shock:

I stayed at "By the Way" in Tyndrum last year, it was a pleasant stay, as was Beinglas but the best of all was Sallochy Bay Woodland camping, loved it , cheap, cheerful and bonny views by the loch, so good I ended up going back 3 months later for a chillaxed weekend with some friends.

Also, if you fancy an alternative you should try the East Highland Way... much fresher and greener than the WHW. :)
andrewl7642
Scrambler

Re: West Highland Way alternative routes (3-12 May & 17/18 M

Postby cecilsson » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:09 pm

Best of luck, Andrew. If you get your report up before I leave here on May 15 I will be looking for it.
When I complete the WHW I will take a day of rest and climb Ben Nevis, weather permitting, then I will start the Great Glen Way - just finished reading your report - I have a bit further to travel to get there so I hope to finish it in one trip. I have enjoyed your pictures and hope to take many of my own.
Michael aka Cecilsson
cecilsson
Mountaineer

Re: West Highland Way alternative routes (3-12 May & 17/18 M

Postby andrewl7642 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:28 pm

Best of luck to you too, Michael

It is quite a challenge to complete the West Highland Way, Great Glen Way AND Ben Nevis in one go.
But it will certainly be worth it if you have never done it.

I hope you will be writing your own report also.
andrewl7642
Scrambler

Re: West Highland Way alternative routes (6th-11th May 2014)

Postby andrewl7642 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:06 am

Michael,

How did your trip to Scotland go?
Did you manage to complete the West Highland Way?

Regards,

Andrew.
andrewl7642
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs