walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Easter Sunday on Meallan nan Uan and Sgurr a' Mhuilinn

Easter Sunday on Meallan nan Uan and Sgurr a' Mhuilinn

Postby malky_c » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:21 pm

Route description: Sgùrr a' Mhuilinn and Meallan nan Uan, Strathconon

Corbetts included on this walk: Meallan nan Uan, Sgùrr a' Mhuilinn

Date walked: 20/04/2014

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 975m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbetts: Meallan nan Uan, Sgurr a' Mhuilinn.
Date: 20/04/2014.
Distance: 9.5km.
Ascent: 975m.
Time taken: 2 hours, 30 minutes.
Weather: Classic Easter high pressure.

Since I'd used all of my nectar points crashing around the west coast in/with a canoe last weekend, I wasn't really supposed to be on the hills over Easter. Spent the whole of Good Friday driving down to Loch Lomond with Gill to check out somewhere she had booked for a hen party, then returned via Killin, Tummel Bridge and the A9. It was quite painful to drive past just about all of the central highlands in such perfect weather without setting foot on a hill at all :twisted: :lol: .

Still, it allowed me to negotiate a few hours on Easter Sunday to go somewhere. I spent the morning painting the shed, and didn't leave the house until 2pm, so it would have to be a quickie. I hadn't been up this Strathconon duo in a few years (and never in decent weather), so they seemed like a good bet. Unfortunately my camera had taken a swim last week, and despite its usual resilience to water, finally given up the ghost. So it is phone snaps from now on until I get something better.

Strathconon.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It always takes longer to get up Strathconon than I think it will, so it was getting on for 3pm by the time I started walking. First time I've ever struggled for parking space at the foot of these hills. I decided to go lightweight with trainers as I'd be struggling to get round even the shortest version of this walk in time otherwise.

Sgurr a’ Choire Ghlais poking above Strathconon:

It's a pathless ascent into Coire a' Mhuilinn at the beginning with the odd bit of bog, but not too bad. I passed a woman on her way down close to the summit of Creag Ruadh - she had been enjoying a leisurely hour on that summit while the rest of her group headed round the horseshoe. Stopped for a brief chat - she didn't really share my opinion of the ground conditions and found them pretty tough.

East down Strathconon:

Carn na Coinnich:

Sgurr a’ Mhiilinn and Fannaichs:

She mentioned that one of the paragliders had landed halfway up a small crag on Sgurr a' Mhuilinn earlier on and struggled to extract themselves - one of the hidden dangers of paragliding that hadn't even occurred to me before.

Paragliders over Strathconon:

I pushed on and made good time onto the ridge. A nice traverse over a couple of minor summits to the final rocky pull to Meallan nan Uan.

Sgurr na Ruaidhe, Carn nan Gobhar, Sgurr a’ Choire Ghlais. Still a fair bit of snow up there – much more than on the hils to the north:

The route ahead from Creag Ruadh:

Meallan nan Uan and Gleann Meinich, Torridon in background:

Meallan nan Uan:

I've often wondered where these hills are named from - seems odd to have a rounded Sgurr and a rocky, pointed Meall right next to each other - surely the names would make more sense switched?

Slioch and Fionn Bheinn:

Great views from the summit anyway - loads of snow on the Monar and Mullardoch hills contrasting with hardly any in Torridon and on Beinn Dearg to the north. It is probably inferior to Sgurr a’ Glas Leathaid and even Sgurr a' Mhuillin as a viewpoint but it feels more like a proper mountain top.

Meallan nan Uan summit:

Achnasheen and Torridon:

Strathfarrar and Cannich Munros:

An steepish descent over rocks and grass leads to a boggy col with glimpses of Loch Coire a' Mhuilinn on the way, then an easier ascent over uniform grass to Sgurr a' Mhuilinn. Although I had originally planned to finally visit the northwestern tops of Sgurr a’ Glas Leathaid and Sgurr a’ Choire-rainich for the best views, I had to leave them out again as I didn't have enough time. A shame, as this was my first visit to these hills in properly decent weather.

Looking back to Meallan nan Uan:

Sgurr a’ Glas Leathaid, Sgurr a’ Choire-rainich with Torridon and Fisherfield behind – another time (again):

Still, Sgurr a' Mhuilinn is a good viewpoint too, and with lovely short turf to boot. The upper part of the descent follows a rocky rib, and is very pleasant until it descends into peat hags in the corrie below.

Strath Bran and Sgurr nan Clach Geala:

Beinn Dearg and Loch Achanalt:

Meallan nan Uan and Strathfarrar Munros:

Eastern Fannaichs:

Descent route:

I followed a small tributary through the hags, which is the easiest line (even a faint path), before crossing the Allt an t-Srathain Mhoir and rejoining my outward route. Lovely day - glad to have got out somewhere even if not for a 'classic' route. While the ambient temperature was only 15 or 16 degrees, I'd parked in a sun trap.

Warm!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Easter Sunday on Meallan nan Uan and Sgurr a' Mhuilinn

Postby NevJB » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:39 pm

Phone or not the pictures are very good - beautiful conditions. Heading to Glen Carron at the end of this week to try and do what we didn't last April when blown off the hillside. Glad to see from your pics that there is far less snow than last year. Thanks Malky.
NevJB
Walker

Munros:55   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:13   

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:43 am

Always nice to see our local Corbetts :D but 2.5 hours for the whole circuit sounds a bit too extreme for me... :wink: :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:04 pm

Another cracker malky - but I'm guessing that despite a drive to Loch Lomond you must still be well in overdraft re brownie points after your last and this trip :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:13 pm

Ach no boats this time .... poor show :lol: :lol:

Nice hills and a good day for it ... Mullachdoch hoping to get there 1st weekend in May no looking for snow though , you see a lot ?
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:220
Fionas:49   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby malky_c » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:20 am

Cheers all!

Collaciotach wrote:Ach no boats this time .... poor show :lol: :lol:

Nice hills and a good day for it ... Mullachdoch hoping to get there 1st weekend in May no looking for snow though , you see a lot ?

Looked like there was still a fair bit on Sgurr na Lapaich and An Riabachan, which is all I could see.
malky_c

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:11 pm

malky_c wrote:Cheers all!

Collaciotach wrote:Ach no boats this time .... poor show :lol: :lol:

Looked like there was still a fair bit on Sgurr na Lapaich and An Riabachan, which is all I could see.

OK going to chance it if weather good hoping no to lug axe n crampoons with me :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:220
Fionas:49   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby malky_c » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:32 pm

Pretty warm the last couple of days - I'm sure you'll be able to work around the snowy bits (might be pretty soft as well). I hate carrying a tent as well as winter gear - one or the other is Ok.
malky_c

Postby seasgaich99 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:41 pm

Your pics are fine, man, and do good justice to hills that are dear to me, the first I climbed when work took me up to resettle in Inverness in early 1990. I've been over these maybe 7 times, always from Strath Conon, but have promised myself a crack someday from Strath Bran, which will need a bit of judicious planning.

I am only an occasional Gaelic learner, but with an avid interest in place-names. I fully agree about the apparent 'meall' and 'sgùrr' anomaly. I would also recommend the north-eastern of the outlying tops, Sgùrr a' Choire-rainich, as the best of this group. I once made a circuit by starting with wee Creag Ghlas. That was a nice easy scramble and gave some altered images on the way to familiar tops.

Well done once again. :wink:
seasgaich99
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:216
Fionas:113   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:7   Islands:24

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland