walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corserine +

Corserine +

Postby Broggy1 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:55 am

Route description: Corserine and the Rhinns of Kells, Forrest Lodge

Corbetts included on this walk: Corserine

Donalds included on this walk: Carlin's Cairn, Corserine, Meikle Millyea, Milldown

Date walked: 18/04/2014

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 20.2 km

Ascent: 1151m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I had been up in Galloway pike fishing on Loch Ken since Monday and with my Brother heading back South on Thursday night this left me with Friday free for a walk in the Galloway Hills before I hit the North Pennines again on Saturday!

As luck would have it this was the best day of the week with wall to wall blue skies and excellent temperatures - a real shorts and t-shirt day.

I decided to try for the Corbett of Corserine hopefully taking in the Donalds of Meikle Millyea and Milldown as described on this website and as it was just there on the map, Carlins Cairn as well. The Northern Rhinns would have to wait for another day!

I arrived at Forest Lodge at 10am with only one other car there (infact I saw only one other walker all day - unbelievable considering the weather and the fact it was Good Friday!).

Promising to be a great day.JPG
Weather superb at the start of the walk

I followed the road to Fore Bush and into the forest ahead which seemed a shame considering the sun was lovely.

In the forest.JPG
Heading into the forest

From here it was case of following good forest tracks around Loch Harrow with helpful blue walkers signs guiding the way.

Helpful Signs.JPG
Hard to go wrong!

The only point where a walker could go potentially wrong is right near the end of the forest section where the Walk Highlands Guide proves particularly useful in taking you across a stone bridge near a fir tree. The main track appears to carry straight on and the blue hillwalkers sign is actually hidden behind greenery.

Fir Tree.JPG
Look out for this fir tree

Stone Bridge.JPG
And cross this Stone Bridge!

Once over the deer fence it was back into the sun and a short but fairly steep climb up to Polmaddy Gairy and then across to the Corserine Summit Plateau and Trig Point.

Open Hill.JPG
Out of the forest and onto the open hill

Summit plateau in view.JPG
Large cairn/shelter marks the summit plateau

Corserine Trig.JPG
Top of Corserine

From here it was a short and sharp descent followed by a similar short and sharp ascent to bag Carlins Cairn which had a particularly impressive summit cairn as you'd expect I guess with the name of the mountain.

Route to Carlins Cairn.JPG
Carlins Cairn from Corserine

Carlins Cairn.JPG
Top of Carlins Cairn

Cairsphairn.JPG
Cairnsmore of Cairsphairn from the gap between the Corserine and Carlins Cairn

Once I had regained the height lost to arrive back on Corserine it was now a simple case of following the ridge over the remaining Southern Khells.

Other Rhinns.JPG
Southern Rhinns from Corserine

Dungeon Range with Awful Hand in distance.JPG
Superb view over to the Dungeon Range backed by the Awful Hand and Merrick

It was now a roller coaster of a route with easy ups and downs between the tops of Millfire, Milldown and finally Meikle Millyea. I really enjoyed this section of the walk and the view were stunning throughout.

View from Millfire.JPG
The view from the summit cairn of the 'top' of Millfire.

Milldown Top.JPG
Top of Milldown

Tarn in depression.JPG
Lochans of Auchniebut with Milldown behind

Meikle Millya Tig looking back to Milldown and Corserine.JPG
Looking back along the ridge to Milldown and Corserine from the Trig Point on Meikle Millyea

Although the actual summit of Millyea is slightly south of the Trig Point on the hill you can see why most people take this as the actual summit due to the views and feeling of finality at the end of a stunning ridge.

From the top all that was left was a short, rocky and quite boggy descent back down to the forest and then back along forest roads (just keep following the ones going downhill!) all the way back to the car.

Route down.JPG
The Route Down over Meikle Lump

Looking back up route down.JPG
Looking back up the downward route

Back at car park.JPG
The Professor Hans Hoiberg Road led me back to the car
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Re: Corserine +

Postby rockhopper » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:10 pm

Great day for it, looks a nice wander :thumbup: Have been looking at the hills down here for winter walks closer to home - must keep this in mind - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland