walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

High winds and flying ice in Beinn Eighe

High winds and flying ice in Beinn Eighe

Postby AlexFrood » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:00 pm

Date walked: 08/03/2014

Distance: 12 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The trip was overall a massive failure, but hey you learned far more from your failure then uses successes, and It doesn't mean we didn't have a great time, it will definitely be a trip stick me for a while. I love Scotland of because of its ferocity.

His a story of my trip.

The plan for my weekend trip in the north-west of Scotland was to do a photo shoot for a stand-up paddle boarding company and to summit in two Munro's of Beinn Eighe. Trip didn’t go as planned due to ridiculous winds on both days; normal wind speed was around 60 to 80 mph with gusts in that at 100 mph, and it definitely felt like it. Wind was meant to be coming from the south and south-west but due to the surrounding mountains in Beinn Eighe it was also coming from the north. With winds from the south in the ranges of 80 mph meeting similar winds coming from the north there were some pretty spectacular sights around which turned an easy walk into something a lot harder. That resulted in a lot of hitting the ground at the time.

Ive walk in the windy Scottish mountains enough to see my fair share of little waterspouts and little twisters popping around. But I’ve never seen anything like the power in some of these on this trip. I’ve never seen the surface of the Lochan sucked up of being called force the centre of the wee twisters. It was all fun and games and pretty amazing to see until we got into Coire Mhic Fhearchair on Beinn Eighe. We spent a while trying to salvage what we could of the photo shoot because in these wind it wasn’t possible to even inflate the stand-up paddleboards let alone paddle. As we were nearing the end and planning to leave a huge gust came from the north causing a little twister to start. This one went across the loch then hit the shore picking up what I thought was small chunks of ice, and then it ran directly over us. For a second everything went mental and chunks of ice were flying around, strange thing I remember was feeling my ears pop as it went over. We definitely decided to get out of there then. I realised after it passed over I lost the lens cap. Better to lose a few ounces of plastic than get hit in the face by dinner plate sized chunks of ice. After reviewing the photos I saw that the chunks of ice weren’t small.

As we were nearing the end and planning to leave a huge gust came from the north causing a little twister to start. This one went across the loch then hit the shore picking up what I thought was small chunks of ice, and then it ran directly over us. For a second everything went mental and chunks of ice were flying around, strange thing I remember was feeling my ears pop as it went over. We definitely decided to get out of there then. I realised after it passed over I lost the lens cap. Better to lose a few ounces of plastic than get hit in the face by dinner plate sized chunks of ice. After reviewing the photos I saw that the chunks of ice weren’t small at all.

ImageWelcome to the West by AlexFrood, on Flickr

It's fair to say we didn't even bother heading up the mountain. Some gust to a knocking us to the floor in the Corrie base alone.

ImageRaining sideways by AlexFrood, on Flickr

ImageIf only by AlexFrood, on Flickr

ImageLooks cold by AlexFrood, on Flickr

The last four shots are the ones I'm happy with from the photo shoot. Unfortunately I never got the crowning glory shot of the paddler on the Loch, but thats Scottish weather for you.

out of the last two what do you prefer?

Thanks for reading
-Alex
AlexFrood
Stravaiging

Munros:69   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:24   

Re: High winds and flying ice in Beinn Eighe

Postby AnnieMacD » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:11 pm

Wow, what an experience and after carrying all that gear too. Good thing you all got out safely.

I prefer the last photo, btw. It could be in the Arctic.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby AlexFrood » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:05 pm

Aye it was an experience alright. The board bags where about 17kg but them acting as a sail in the wind was a bigger problem on the walk in than the weight.
AlexFrood
Stravaiging

Munros:69   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:24   

Postby Silverhill » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:53 pm

Blimey, right you were to turn back! That flying ice sounds no fun....
I love the pictures by the way! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Graeme D » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:52 pm

Sounds like an epic! :shock:

I think the last photo is best too. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:05 pm

Amazing - this place isn't gentle in the best of weather, but your tale is special :D I like the first and last photos best, drama in the first, and human scale in the last!
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland