walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scrambling up Sgurr a' Chaorachain (Applecross)

Scrambling up Sgurr a' Chaorachain (Applecross)

Postby AnnieMacD » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:55 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr a' Chaorachain

Date walked: 20/04/2014

Time taken: 6.7 hours

Distance: 11.2 km

Ascent: 763m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Track_2014-04-20 Sgurr a' Chaorachain.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After my fabulous scrambling experience on An Ruadh-Stac a couple of days ago I felt encouraged to put into action my plan to climb Sgurr a' Chaorachain from the Kishorn side. I had no idea if it was within my capablilities but I remembered that Stravaiger had said it was a good route of ascent and the SMC Corbett book describes the route in reverse saying there is some 'easy scrambling'. I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with the language used to grade scrambling but the word 'easy' appealed to me and now looked like the perfect day for it as there was little wind and clear, sunny conditions.

I parked just above Cnoc nan Uan and set off straight up the hill (started off at 190m). The instructions in The Corbetts book say to keep to the crest but when you are up close there doesn't appear to be an obvious crest so I just tried to keep a fairly straight line. This was not always possible as I came to a few dead-ends on narrow terraces and had to back-track to try for an easier line. (See the zig-zaggy track!) Again, the deer came to the rescue and I just tried to keep to their tracks. I have to say it was great fun even though there were a few scary bits. I just kept to the mantra, "Don't look down". It was great when I came out to the 660m lower edge of the summit plateau. After taking a break here it was a stroll up to the top - even over some boulders!

Sgurr a' Chaorachain-1.jpg
Looking down to Loch Kishorn from 350m

Sgurr a' Chaorachain-2.jpg
Sgurr a' Chaorachain's SE face. You can't really see the top from here.

Sgurr a' Chaorachain-3.jpg
Maol Chean-dearg, An Ruadh-stac and Sgurr a' Gharaidh across the lower slope of Beinn Bhan.

Sgurr a' Chaorachain-4.jpg
Loch Coire nan Arr makes an appearance.

Sgurr a' Chaorachain-5.jpg
At the 660m mark you can look down a gully (which may be another option for ascent/descent) towards Creag a' Chumhaing with Plockton and Skye beyond.

Sgurr a' Chaorachain-6.jpg
In the other direction (N) lies the summit of Beinn Bhan.

Sgurr a' Chaorachain-7.jpg
Loch Kishorn again.

Sgurr a' Chaorachain-8.jpg
Towards Creag a' Chumhaing. This hill along with the connecting Meall Gorm make for a fantastic walk - they just don't register on any lists as the drop at Bealach na Ba isn't sufficient.

Sgurr a' Chaorachain-9.jpg
Coire a' Chaorachain

Sgurr a' Chaorachain-10.jpg
Na Ciochan from across the coire.

The views from the summit are magnificent.

Sgurr a' Chaorachain-11.jpg
The Cuillin from the summit. Meall Gorm summit in the mid-distance.

Sgurr a' Chaorachain-12.jpg
Looking down on to the top of Creag a' Chumhaing. The corrie in between carries the Bealach na Ba road to Applecross.

Sgurr a' Chaorachain-13.jpg
The main summit with the minor summit with the communication mast round the horse-shoe.

After lunch I set off for the descent down to Coire a' Chaorachain. I had noticed some people on the ridge and they didn't seem to be moving very much but I just assumed they were enjoying the sunshine and views. Just as I was about to ascent the 'tower', I met the four young men who were not dressed or equipped for hill-walking (I think they only had one plastic bottle of water between them) but they seemed to be enjoying themselves and I had a wee chat with them before proceeding. I did tell them I was going to drop down into the coire and they asked me if I saw the snow bank they could see from the road. I did, and gave them directions to it from the summit. I guessed they were planning on building a snowman or having a snow-ball fight.

Anyway I went down the steep grassy slope into the coire and replenished my water supplies in the lovely spring which I had found when up (in very different weather conditions) last weekend.

Sgurr a' Chaorachain-14.jpg
One week ago (in very different weather conditions) I ascended to the mast via the deer track just left of centre. It's pretty steep!

Sgurr a' Chaorachain-15.jpg
Descending down to the coire - the Beinn Bhan ridge is straight ahead.

Sgurr a' Chaorachain-18.jpg
Entrance to the coire from underneath Na Ciochan

I continued down to the lochan and when I looked up I could just see the guys as little specs on the horizon near the summit. I crossed over to the other side of the coire and went up the opposite side to just below An Ciochan when I heard an almighty rumble. At first I couldn't figure out what it was but soon realized the guys were pushing rocks over the lip of the coire. Of course the rocks were tumbling down at least 200m and accelerating all the way. I'm hoping a) they weren't trying to kill me, b) they weren't old enough or mature enough to think of any implications and c) they had no malicious intent. I have to say I was wearing very bright clothes and I'm sure they must have spotted me before starting but of course there could have been other walkers in the coire directly below them - it doesn't bear thinking about.

Sgurr a' Chaorachain-19.jpg
Patterns on the hillside

Sgurr a' Chaorachain-20.jpg
Looking back up Coire nan Arr to its bealach. The tops of Na Ciochan on the left.

Sgurr a' Chaorachain-21.jpg
Down at Loch Coire nan Arr the rays are lengthening.

Sgurr a' Chaorachain-22.jpg
Last look at the trio of Maol Chean-dearg, An Ruadh-stac and Sgurr a' Gharaidh in the evening sun.

Other than the above, I had a fantastic adventure and, although I don't get a blue balloon, it was worth all the adrenaline and I'm now a much more confident scrambler (I think!).
Attachments
Sgurr a' Chaorachain-16.jpg
Down at Loch Coire a' Chaorachain.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Scrambling up Sgurr a' Chaorachain (Applecross)

Postby rockhopper » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:58 pm

Another cracking trip Annie - haven't been round to Applecross for decades and really must get back - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby scottishkennyg » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:02 pm

A fine day with some grand views...love the view across to Skye..
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby malky_c » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:47 pm

Looks like a nice route onto the summit, and perfect weather :D . I came up your descent route a few years ago, then went round onto Bheinn Bhan. It wasn't as nice as this!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:06 pm

Ah ...... A' Chomraich been a few years ,bonnie place :D

A bheil moran Ghaidhlig ann A'Chomraich fhathast ?
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby AnnieMacD » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:56 pm

Collaciotach wrote:Ah ...... A' Chomraich been a few years ,bonnie place :D

A bheil moran Ghaidhlig ann A'Chomraich fhathast ?

Chan eil moran a nis. The most common 'local' accent is Yorkshire :lol:
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Postby basscadet » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:58 pm

Oh that looked just brilliant :D

I swear by following the deer tracks, I've been told by others on this site that it is an irresponsible, dangerous thing to do, but its got me out of a fair few scrapes so I still do it :wink: :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby AnnieMacD » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:34 pm

Basscadet, I totally agree. I didn't know there was any fixed opinion on following deer tracks (ha, ha, just as well) but have always been surprised that they are not mentioned in any of the guides. I use them more than anything else as an indication of what's possible. At least you know you are not going to fall over a cliff! On the other hand, I would not follow sheep tracks as they have much smaller hooves and it's therefore no indication that I could place my foot in their narrower treads. Maybe it's one advantage of having smaller feet that we can fit in the deer prints!

I'm a happy camper when I'm off path and I see deer poo :lol:
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Postby weezul » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:14 pm

You had some fine weather! Beautiful pics.

....guys were pushing rocks over the lip of the coire.

I'm not a fan of trundlers. There have been accidents. Not cool.
weezul

Postby Graeme D » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:15 pm

weezul wrote:You had some fine weather! Beautiful pics.

....guys were pushing rocks over the lip of the coire.

I'm not a fan of trundlers. There have been accidents. Not cool.

Brainless eejits have now reached the far flung Corbetts of Applecross by the sounds of things! :shock:

Cracking report. I had my eye on these two last year but it never materialised. Must try and reschedule some time soon! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:33 pm

Beautiful pics - stunning area, now do I want to do some scrambling practice ?? :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:55 am

Amazing photos and great read - looked like a magic day :)
wilkiemurray

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland