walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

CMD arete

CMD arete

Postby Johnmacdad » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:39 pm

Planning on doing this on the 4th May and was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is still hard snow or ice. I know it holds snow a while on the North side but there has been a bit of rain.

It's a fairly steep climb but I'm hoping the ice axe and cramps wont be needed.

Thanks
John.
Johnmacdad
Munro compleatist

Munros:237   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   

Re: CMD arete

Postby lordyosch » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:31 pm

Part bump, part... I'm also hoping to do it that weekend so I'm watching with interest!
lordyosch
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:10   

Postby tommyatr » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:58 pm

Can't say for definate but going by what I could see last Friday of nevis and pics from nevis range ski centre there will is still a fair amount of snow,and with it being on the north facing side will be very icy.

Hope this helps.
tommyatr
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:24
Fionas:25   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:4

Postby Fudgie » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:05 pm

I got a brief glance at it on Wednesday when driving back into Spean Bridge and it looked as if there was still a lot of snow on it. The cloud was quite low but it lifted for a moment or two and the upper slopes were white.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby wotnowalshy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:42 pm

I went that way early May, 3 or 4 years ago. Axe was definitely needed in case of a slide on the ridge itself and on the final steep pull to Ben Nevis. We carried crampons but didn't need them. No idea what current conditions are, but there's bound to be snow somewhere, so take the axe and crampons!
wotnowalshy
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:135
Wainwrights:155   

Postby bicyclerepairman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:19 pm

Did it yesterday. There was a couple of snowy patches on the ridge, I had an ice axe but mostly took it steady and didn't use it.
bicyclerepairman
Munro compleatist

Postby lordyosch » Sat May 03, 2014 8:04 pm

Did it today.

Used axe on the climb up onto cmd, could have avoided snow patches and stuck to the rock/scree.

Snow patches on ridge avoidable, loads of snow on the Ben summit.

Instead of coming down the zigzags from McLean's steep i , umm, 'boot skiied'? With walking poles a lot of the descent to not much above the lochan - must have saved me a huge amount of time because I did the whole route in 8 hours and I'm not that fit!
lordyosch
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:7

Postby Johnmacdad » Wed May 07, 2014 6:09 pm

Needed both crampons and Ice axe to get up cmd. Was a great day but we had crap weather and no views at all.
I'll defo do it again in better weather though.
Johnmacdad
Munro compleatist

Munros:237   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   

Postby rgf101 » Thu May 15, 2014 10:12 am

Wee bump - hoping to go up to CMD from the bealach between the CMD and Aonach Mor and then onto the Ben at some point next week, but if snow's going to be unavoidable we may need to reconsider.

Will obviously need to make a decision nearer the time, but if anyone's been up this week (or could post this weekend) that'd be lovely.
rgf101

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion