walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Ossian, Meall na Lice

Loch Ossian, Meall na Lice

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:24 pm

Date walked: 20/04/2014

Time taken: 0.7 hours

Distance: 3.1 km

Ascent: 186m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

An inside one hour jaunt up a wee Hump (see Hillbaggers website for further info). At 584m high I thought about 45mins up and down. Headed off from campsite adjacent to South track to YH and just opposite YH followed another track South which had almost immediately a path coming in off the East side which took me on the North side of Meall na Lice, looking upwards I saw the position of the crags and worked out a route to the West of same

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

c.JPG
Path from track heading in the direction of the hill to be climbed
d.JPG
After a not too steep climb up the North West face approaching the summit the gradient lessens and the underfoot conditions get slightly boggy but nothing for concern
e.JPG
View from the summit cairn, as I was approaching another walker was leaving and heading off the East ridge, was that you?
f.JPG
Beinn na Lap which I climbed in the morning
g.JPG
View down the NE shoulder
h.JPG
View down to the wild campsite. This is a fine wee hill if only for the wonderful views from the summit and well worth the little effort in getting to the top. I must check the website to see if there are any other reports on this wee gem. I can highly recommend this walk and also a pint of Corrour Gold Ale at the Corrour Station afterwards, it goes down a treat before retreating to your tent or YH.
i.JPG
Sun setting on what was a wonderful weekends walking the hills, hope there will be many more such as this Easter Break.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Loch Ossian, Meall na Lice

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:35 pm

Nice one Rod, you certainly don't waste a minute when in the great outdoors - if there is a hill nearby you will be up it :lol: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby malky_c » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:32 pm

Looks like you had a great few days. You're doomed if you're onto the humps though :lol: . Looks like a good one for views of Loch Ossian, mind you :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:51 am

malky_c wrote:Looks like you had a great few days. You're doomed if you're onto the humps though :lol: . Looks like a good one for views of Loch Ossian, mind you :)

:lol: :lol: Hi malky, will not be doing many Humps, but this one looked interesting and quite rugged from Beinn na Lap, and I had a spare hour so thought I would go for it, anyway great way to get up a thirst as I did not hang about after a slow walk up BNL earlier in the day. By the time the weekend was finished the Corrour Gold was sold out :lol: :lol: Nice pint! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:46 pm

I enjoy these wee hills if out and about and looking for a quick walk. You had the added bonus of getting some great views especially looking towards Loch Ossian.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:55 pm

Sarah86 wrote:I enjoy these wee hills if out and about and looking for a quick walk. You had the added bonus of getting some great views especially looking towards Loch Ossian.

Hi Sarah86, your spoilt for choice at Loch Ossian, but this is a fine wee hill with great views from the top with very little effort required. I was a bit surprised to find another walker at the summit though :) I wonder how Archie the long haired hound from the Station House Restaurant would get on with your Penny?
The Rodmiester
Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland