walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Easter sun and a surprise challenge!

Easter sun and a surprise challenge!

Postby Spinelli » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:42 pm

Route description: Monks Rigg and Braid Law, Nine Mile Burn

Date walked: 19/04/2014

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 7.3 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Taking advantage of the beautiful weather over the Easter weekend, J and I set off for a stroll over Cap Law from Nine Mile Burn. This was our second outing into the Pentlands, and how different it was from the first! Sunscreen was thickly applied, layers came off, and sunglasses went on. With no wind, rain and ankle deep mud to contend with, we began our walk heading up the near side of the stone wall in the field beside the small car park. Fair warning – if like us you don’t read directions properly and cross the gate before ascending the field, you’ll find your way blocked by a wall and a barbed wire fence. When we made this mistake first time round, there was no way we were going to the bottom to start again, so we precariously crossed the double barrier – J going over the fence and me going under it. We came out unscathed, although my wooly hat was now dangling on the wire! Thankfully, we didn’t make the same mistake twice…

IMG_2988.JPG
Walking up the wrong side of the fence at the start!

IMG_2990.JPG
On the right track eventually

Every step across the gently climbing moorland reveals beautiful views back towards the Moorfoot hills, and seeing West Kip and the rest of the Pentlands coming appearing in front is a great inspiration to keep going. This is usually the point where we are overtaken by much fitter people running or cycling past us, but as not very fit beginners we’re happy just plodding along.

IMG_2984.JPG
Lovely view

IMG_3007.JPG
West Kip, East Kip and Scald Law opening up in front of us

At the top of Cap Law we stopped for lunch, and it can’t be denied there aren’t many better views for a relaxed picnic! Last time we were up the winds were so high that just standing upright was a struggle, and we ate on the move in the slight shelter of the treeline further on in the walk.

As we reached the foot of West Kip, we looked at each other, and asked, did we fancy a challenge? We’ll take a detour, we decided. We’ll just climb as high as we can up the side of the steep hill, each of us privately earmarking the spot that we’d be happy with reaching before turning back. No way could we get to the top, we thought, it looks far too steep. Setting off, we got to our ‘stopping point’ – and kept going. Next thing we knew, we were on the summit. Feeling extremely chuffed with ourselves, we spent some time taking in the panorama before heading back down the hill.

Back at the foot, we turned left, heading towards Nine Mile Burn, sticking to the right of the fence as it passes just below the sparse woodland. Keeping to the right, we have a short climb towards the pass between Braid Law and Cap Law ridge. From here we can see the cottages where the car is parked, and it’s an easy wander back to the start. A very enjoyable and fairly easy walk, even with the last minute addition of West Kip!

IMG_2996.JPG
Hill sheep blending in with the background

IMG_3026.JPG
Some rather windswept trees!

Unfortunately I didn't have my camera this time round, so all photos are from our first trip on this route, a couple of weeks previous.
Last edited by Spinelli on Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spinelli
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:2
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Easter sun and a surprise challenge!

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:48 pm

Then Pentlands are very close to me but I have yet to venture out there. A lovely set of photos, I like the black and white wind swept trees.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Re: Easter sun and a surprise challenge!

Postby Spinelli » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:04 pm

Thanks Sarah. We've lived in Edinburgh on and off for 7 years and only now started to appreciate what's around us - it just shows what we've been missing for so long!
Spinelli
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:2
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland