walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Mamores.

Mamores.

Postby john519 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:53 pm

Hi all looking for any tips advice general inside info on the complete traverse of the mamores ridge, was considering parking in glen nevis walking in past seall ruins then up on to the ridge possible doing the 2/3 out lying munros then having a wild camp somewhere high up don't mind couple of days out.

All ideas greatly recieved. Cheers n Beers John
john519
Mountain Walker

Munros:184   Corbetts:11
Fionas:1   

Re: Mamores.

Postby basscadet » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:01 pm

If I was doing it with one car, I would park at the youth hostel in Glen Nevis, and get the bus to Kinlochleven to start :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby john519 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:38 pm

Cheers Basscadet,

Will have a wee look :).

What about grey corries ridge walk from stob ban through to Ben nevis via CMD

cheers n Beers J.
john519
Mountain Walker

Postby basscadet » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:22 pm

I've got an old McNeish book detailing a 3 day route starting from Nevis, over the Arete, Aonichs, grey corries and back via the Mamores.. :shock: I think I would take 5 days for that and be bloomin sure the weather was going to be nice! :lol:
I had a look down to the bealach with the grey Corries when I was on the Aonichs in winter and it looked impossible, but probably nae so bad in the summer :wink:
Both ridges you describe are more than do-able over 2 days, but you seem unawares of how bad the path at the top of Glen Nevis is, so its the getting back that is the problem. there is the WHW path too for the mamores, but I would either allow an extra day for the walk, or like I say, bus to Kinlochleven, or maybe up to Corrour for the train? :?
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Kevin29035 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:01 am

I did the Mamores last summer. I prefer a lighter rucksack so I did the full thing in a day starting and ending in Glen Nevis.

I personally prefer east to west. You start the day walking through Steall Gorge + Falls (gets me inspired!) then you get the more isolated eastern Munros out the way first. Then as you get tired toward the end the ascents get smaller, and if the weather is good you're walking into a setting sun with an easy descent to the glen down the ridge of Mullach nan Coirean... of course in rain and a west wind it's a lot different :shock:

It's great for dropping off the rucksack - drop it and return for Sgurr Eilde Mor, Binnein Mor, An Gearanach and Sgurr a' Mhaim.

There are water refills around the Eilde Mor/Binnein Mor area, then it's pretty dry until you reach the outflow of the wee loch below Sgorr an Iubhair, which is totally ideal. Is a great campsite, I did this once, shame the weather sucked!

As for Corries to Nevis. AMAZING. Couldn't recommend it highly enough. Even better than the Mamores imo and they're pretty alright. Assuming you're good for getting over Carn Mor Dearg (the east ridge is easy), the hardest bit is getting onto the Aonachs and (not such a big deal) getting off them.

As for getting onto them, the easiest route is to go to the lowest point of the S ridge of Aonach Beag, immediately north of Sgurr a' Bhuic, then follow that easily to the top (though a long way!). The alternative is to go straight up from the bealach with the Grey Corries, into a gully which is topped on one side with a massive overhang. It's taller and more direct but equally, it's steeper, more loose, muddy and generally quite manky in a bit of a steep situation. I used the former route last summer because the latter (done previously) was still rammed with snow despite being the end of June (last summers snow held on oddly long though?!)

As for getting off the Aonachs, really just dropping off the bealach between Mor and Beag and follow your nose. Steep, rough and tedious but never really a problem imo.

As for getting onto CMD east ridge, go past the wee pink granite wall at the base of the ridge, then go up - a vague path and line of least resistance.

Cheers

Kev
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby lochussie » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:54 pm

West to east then down Glen Nevis worked pretty well for us. Streams after the first two and before the last two. Walking out down the glen would be better than negotiating the final westerly hills if you ran out of day light.
lochussie

Postby prog99 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:30 pm

Steve Fallon has some details.
http://www.stevenfallon.co.uk/mamores.html

Regarding Grey corries to The Ben. Done it in two bits -
Walk up Glen Nevis(boggy!) and then back along the grey corries(superb). Not done the link to the Aonachs.
Aonachs to CMD is very steep grass, not technically hard but a slip would result in a nasty tumble.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby john519 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:49 pm

Hey everyone thanks for all the great info defo going for the mamores first, size up the big hills :shock: just need to wait for the all important 6 weeks of high pressure sitting right over the top of us.

cheers n beers John happy trails
john519
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion