walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Dalwhinnie to Corrour

Dalwhinnie to Corrour

Postby ngm1scot » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:52 pm

Planning on doing the 9 munros between Dalwhinnie & Corrour this summer over a long weekend (2 days walking) camping out (Carn Dearg; Geal-Charn; Beinn Eibhinn; Aonach Beag; Ben Alder and Beinn Bheoil, followed by the three around Loch ossian). Just wondered if anyone had been through the glen to the other side - interested in things like what the crossing of the Uisge Labhair is like. The WH GPS planner shows a stalkers path and ford across at NN463721 but the latest edition of OS Map 393 doesnt show this at all. Train up to Dalwhinnie and Train back from Corrour.

Appreciate any information or advice
ngm1scot
Munro compleatist

Munros:54   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Dalwhinnie to Corrour

Postby prog99 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:35 pm

We did Ben Alder from the Corrour side a few years ago and I don't recall any issues crossing the Uisge Labhair
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:37 pm

Good luck because you are in for a long couple of days, here is my report from a week or so ago on the Aonach Beag 4

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41283

For the Loch Ossian hills check out Rod's report

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41369
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Astronick » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:58 am

By the time you get up towards the top end of the Uisge Labhair it is fairly narrow and rocky and easy to hop across at about the spot where the OS marks the "ford". Unless it is in spate I don't think you'll have any problems crossing. Here is a shot of it not long before I crossed across to the east bank.

ImageLooking down the Uisge Labhair, on Flickr

The path up from Loch Ossian is boggy at first but pretty soon becomes pretty decent. There are also some beautiful camping spots along the way.

ImageCamped below Ben Alder, on Flickr

Ben Alder is a wonderful area for wondering - enjoy :-)
Astronick
Stravaiging

Munros:220   Corbetts:52
Fionas:11   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:10   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:28 am

You will have no problems see my report Big day out from Loch Ossian, this will give you an idea of the path from the Ossian side. Boggy in places takes the line of the burn in most cases, a bit undulating but not too much climbing at the far end. Some camping spots, not many though, area pretty wet in general. If you let me know where your looking to camp I might be able to give you a good dry site :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion