walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Gaick Pass

Gaick Pass

Postby kaiserstein » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:22 am

Has anyone cycled (or walked) from Kingussie to Dalnacardoch Lodge via the Gaick Pass and can tell me if this is doable on an MTB? Would south-north or vice versa be better?

I'm looking at possibility of using this path to pick up corbetts around there.

Also, there is a path leading to Leathad an Taobhain which follows the Allt Coire Bhran travelling south west. Has anyone used this and know if suitable for a bike. If I could get 3 or 4 km on my bike that would be a bonus.

Thanks
Dave
kaiserstein
Mountain Walker

Munros:65   Corbetts:222
Fionas:30   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:5   Islands:9

Re: Gaick Pass

Postby malky_c » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:54 am

Not been right through, but I approached from the north. From the south also seems pretty standard by bike:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6103

Looks like a couple of miles of single-track through the pass to link up vehicle tracks - I think it would be fine though (been meaning to try it mysels but not got around to it).

You'd be lucky to get the bike up Leathad an Tobhain from that direction - thick heather and peat, path is barely visible until you get higher up onto the plateau. There is a good track up to Meall an Uilt Creagaich further east that can be cycled, but you'd need to do some heather bashing to get onto that from the Tromie (I think there are more vehicle tracks than the map shows, but they don't link up and I can't remember the exact extent). You'd be best starting from the Feshie for that.

Here is another good bike/hike in the area:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4514
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Arthurs Eat » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:26 pm

I have walked this route otherwise known as the Minigaig. On both occasions I have notice bike tracks.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby kaiserstein » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:06 pm

Arthurs Eat wrote:I have walked this route otherwise known as the Minigaig. On both occasions I have notice bike tracks.

Minigaig. I will look that up cheers.

malky_c wrote:Not been right through, but I approached from the north. From the south also seems pretty standard by bike:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6103

Looks like a couple of miles of single-track through the pass to link up vehicle tracks - I think it would be fine though (been meaning to try it mysels but not got around to it).

You'd be lucky to get the bike up Leathad an Tobhain from that direction - thick heather and peat, path is barely visible until you get higher up onto the plateau. There is a good track up to Meall an Uilt Creagaich further east that can be cycled, but you'd need to do some heather bashing to get onto that from the Tromie (I think there are more vehicle tracks than the map shows, but they don't link up and I can't remember the exact extent). You'd be best starting from the Feshie for that.

Here is another good bike/hike in the area:
<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4514</span>

Thanks Malky. I'm looking at a bike / hike over a couple of days through the Minigaig so will probably include your route as above to pick up the three corbs.
kaiserstein
Mountain Walker

Postby whiteburn » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:38 pm

The Gaick and Minigaick are two differnet routes, here's links to the basic information:

http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=212
http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=213
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby IanEzzi » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:01 pm

Gaick is considered a bit of a classic MTB route, it's feature in a couple of guide books at least. I did it with a single wheeled trailer attached to my bike (I was on a multi-day tour) and it was mostly rideable, I think the river crossings at either end were a bit tricky though.

I've had a few friends attempt the Minigaig, I don't think there's much 'riding' to be had over the top of it.
IanEzzi

Munros:173   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:2

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:28 pm

Is this you planning the start of your next mission Dave - Corbetts? :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby gaffr » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:17 am

I went that way in 1989 on my old velo. Began at Kincraig......Feshie, lochan an t Stuic, 847, 912 on to the high ground...this avoided the now deteriorated track at the N end of MInigaig. Easily onto the main trail from here and through to Bruar Lodge. Then Old Blair, Glen Tilt, Bynack Lodge, across the Geldie burn, up Glen Geldie to reach upper Glen Feshie and back down to the tar at Auchlain and back to start. June 1989 in dry and sunny weather. I think that it was around 110 kilometres or so. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby kaiserstein » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:02 am

Fife Flyer wrote:Is this you planning the start of your next mission Dave - Corbetts? :lol:

Haha, still deciding to be honest, probably concentrate on corbetts for the next wee while. I've always used the munro map as a kind of sign post for Scotland so it gives a different perspective when looking at corbett map. Plus it's great to look at new routes and ideas for trips.

Appreciate all the info, thanks folks.
kaiserstein
Mountain Walker

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:31 am

Look at the challenge you have Dave - only another 208 to compleat :lol: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion