walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Caisteal Walk

An Caisteal Walk

Postby U059361 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:32 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal

Date walked: 29/04/2014

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 10.7 km

Ascent: 842m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I arrived early in case car park was busy, but the car park is bypassed old road, so huge. No problem. The field to walk through is basically bog, so followed the farm track round and under the bridge with the railway. Walked up till reached the fence with the gate and turned right, following off and on a faint path indeed as warned on WH route description. Satisfying to pick a course and meet up with the path higher up. Pretty wet in bits up near the top, not sure why path goes through it. Just avoided it. A steep climb, but it gets it over with. Along the ridge is fine walking. Three snow banks to walk over, but short and gentle gradients. The cleft has what amounts to almost a glacier in it, pretty deep looking. Wouldn't want to fall down the side of it.
Caisteal Glacier Stitch.jpg
The Cleft with its snow bank. The path crosses just in front, thank goodness.

Caisteal Glacier.jpg
Cleft snow bank from other side, deep stuff

Up onto the castle crag for a look and then on to the true top. Good views all around, even if it was still dreich. I could see it was clearing up, but after waiting an hour, lunch done, I walked back down the way I came up, mostly. The path is just as hard to stick to going down.
ImageRoute to top by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageSnow Banks Castle by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageThe Castle from the top by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBeinn a'Chroin by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBeinn Chabhair by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Image4 Munros by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland