walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

5-6 day Isle of Skye walk with camping?

5-6 day Isle of Skye walk with camping?

Postby Jakobben » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:11 am

Hi,

A friend and I would like to do some hiking on Isle of Skye. We plan to spend 5-6 days there in mid-July, and I was hoping to get some input and/or feedback on our idea.

The plan is not to rush through the walks, but take some time to relax along the way, and enjoy the views. I was thinking of doing the first 4 stages of the Skye Trail, but letting it span over the 5-6 days. We are both experienced walkers, and can move pretty quickly, but this time we want to slow it down a bit.

The questions:
1) We are hoping to be able to camp in tents as much as possible. We don't require much comfort, and can handle the rain, but my main concern is the wind, though we have a pretty sturdy tent. Is it generally possible to find somewhere that is fairly level, and somewhat protected from the wind?

2) It seems the Skye Trail isn't really catering to backpackers with tents, since the stages end in towns with accommodations. We mainly just want to see some beautiful sights (coasts, cliffs etc.), and enjoy the outdoors. Is there some other hike on Isle of Skye we should consider instead?

Thank you!
-Jakob
Jakobben
Scrambler

Re: 5-6 day Isle of Skye walk with camping?

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:38 am

At that time of year it is better to be exposed to the wind, which keeps the midgies away. I would rather be buffeted by a gale than sheltered in a cloud of biting insects! A nice coastal walk with great views which you can do as quick or relaxed as you like is to go from Sligachan (campsite and pub) across the island via Glen Sligachan to Camasunary, then keep to the coast along to Loch Coruisk, then on along the coast to eventually come out at Glen Brittle ( another organised campsite but no pub), returning to Sligachan by walking up Glen Brittle and over the shoulder of the hills to descend to Sligachan...
Glen Sligachan September 2009.jpg
Glen Sligachan

Marsco from Elgol.jpg
Camasunary from Elgol

Coruisk.JPG
Loch Coruisk

Cuillin, Glen Brittle, Skye,Scotland May 09 035.jpg
Cuillin from Glen Brittle

Keep a look out for seals, otters, eagles, deer and other wildlife. Be careful of any strange objects washed up on the shore; sometimes bombs get washed up - do not touch!
Scarey Thing On The Shore on Skye.JPG
Beach Bomb #1

Achtung Minen.jpg
Beach Bomb #2
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:04 am

I also meant to say : you can camp wild between start and finish, there are a lot of places ideal for this on the way. Look out for deer, seals, otters and eagles, and enjoy!
March 2014 030a.JPG
Stag

Sea Eagle and Buzzard 02 Oct 24th.JPG
Sea Eagle and Buzzard

Dunvegan Seal 04.JPG
Skye Seal

Broadford-otter01.JPG
Skye Otter
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby stanrob » Thu May 01, 2014 12:49 am

Elgol to Sligachan is a peach of a walk!
stanrob
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion