walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

allermuir, culter fell, dogs and cattle

allermuir, culter fell, dogs and cattle

Postby snowgoose » Thu May 01, 2014 10:47 am

Does anyone know if there are cattle on Allermuir or Culter Fell just now? There were a few low down near Swanston a few months ago, but I wondered if they go onto the hill itself, or anywhere that high up on the Pentlands. I don't know anything about Culter and any info re livestock would be appreciated.
snowgoose
Mountaineer

Re: allermuir, culter fell, dogs and cattle

Postby SecretSquirrel » Thu May 01, 2014 11:16 am

I don't know about Allermuir, but there was only sheep on the ascent of Culter Fell when I was there in February.
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Postby kmsharp » Thu May 01, 2014 11:29 am

I was on the hills adjacent to Culter over Easter Weekend and there were no cattle. Plenty of sheep and lambs on the lower slopes, with fewer sheep and no lambs on the higher slopes.

I'd be more worried about lambing than cattle.

Keith.
kmsharp

Munros:2   Corbetts:8
Fionas:25   Donalds:82
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby snowgoose » Thu May 01, 2014 4:36 pm

Thanks Keith and S Squirrel that's helpful. I will check with farm re lambing if I decide to do Culter in near future.
snowgoose
Mountaineer

Postby RiverSong » Thu May 01, 2014 5:55 pm

There are lambs in the fields around the Pentlands just now and signs everywhere asking you to keep your dog on a lead. There are mobile numbers for you to call if you see anyone allowing their dog to worry the sheep.

The cattle roam free all over the hills, I once saw a herd of cattle at the trig point of Turnhouse!! I think I have a photo somewhere if you don't believe me.

I also met a herd of none-too-friendly highland cows on Caerketton, they had strolled over there from Allermuir. There were some walkers who weren't bothered and walked right through the herd, but I kept well away from them, like I said they didn't look too friendly.
RiverSong
Walker

Postby snowgoose » Thu May 01, 2014 10:53 pm

Thanks RiverSong - I will give the Pentlands a miss meantime.
snowgoose
Mountaineer

Postby RiverSong » Thu May 01, 2014 11:09 pm

No, don't do that, Seems a shame to miss out walking in such a fab place, just keep your dog on a lead and if you see cattle then away from them. :D
RiverSong
Walker

Postby snowgoose » Fri May 02, 2014 11:54 pm

Well....I'll see. I ken coos and they can be tricky beasties. And the Pentlands are a lot of ground to cover if you have to run :shock:
snowgoose
Mountaineer

Postby RiverSong » Sat May 03, 2014 8:19 pm

Ha Ha Ha, that's true, and there's no fields, just big open spaces. I don't like them either. There's a few walks you can do without bumping into them, for example it's pretty safe to go round the reservoirs although that's maybe not the high ground you were hoping for.
RiverSong
Walker

Postby Tinto63 » Sat May 03, 2014 9:54 pm

The only place in the Pentlands where I regularly see cattle is on the old drove road from Little Vantage on the Lang Whang down over the Water of Leith and then on towards the Cauldstane Slap, but even when there has been a bull loose I have never had any problems, just walk quietly past them. I have also encountered Highland cattle at Baddinsgill at the southern end of the drove road.
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Postby snowgoose » Mon May 05, 2014 12:20 am

Thanks RiverSong and Tinto 63 - might do the reservoirs to start with and generally case the joint as the only part of the Pentlands I've been on is the circular walk above the ski-centre and down to Swanston - which I had to do from both ends to get it finished, owing to huge bull detached from the rest of the herd and right in our path - fortunately I saw it first and beat hasty retreat. Problem is cattle and dogs and I've always got the dog with me, and with this one, nae chance of walking quietly past! :shh:
snowgoose
Mountaineer

Postby Onefootinthe » Mon May 05, 2014 9:37 am

There are still Highland cattle around the path from the Ski slope to Swanston. They have been in that area for a couple of months, and often tend to congregate aaround the old Lothianburn golf course where the new fencing has been put up. I walk along there with my 2 dogs several times a week, and have never had any bother from them at all. If they are in a close group you can nearly always walk around them with no bother. This path is always quite busy and has a lot of people with dogs using it, and I have never heard of anyone having any bother. The only time I tend to avoid cattle is when they have young and can be pretty unpredictable.
Onefootinthe
Mountaineer

Postby snowgoose » Mon May 05, 2014 10:15 am

Thanks Onefootinthe. Those are the beasts I saw, I think. If I was sure they would stay down there and not come up to Allermuir I would risk it and hope they cannot sense fear from afar! :shock: The path up has good all round visibility I believe? so I could always turn back if anything appeared on the horizon. :?
snowgoose
Mountaineer

Postby Onefootinthe » Mon May 05, 2014 3:13 pm

If they bother you that much you can always park in Bonaly country park, go up past Bonaly reservoir, follow the path around Capelaw and from the pass it's a good path up onto Allermuir, back down to the pass and follow the path down towards Dreghorn then turn left to return to the car park. Another nice walk that way, and the dogs love romping about. I've never seen them up on the Caerketton to Allermuir path, if you want to go up that way follow the fence up to the left above the Ski slope and you should be fine.
Onefootinthe
Mountaineer

Postby lomondwalkers » Mon May 05, 2014 3:33 pm

No coos on Culter when I was there in mid March
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion