walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Wild camps on the Lochaber Traverse

Wild camps on the Lochaber Traverse

Postby rgf101 » Fri May 02, 2014 3:20 pm

I'm planning a Lochaber Traverse, but at a fairly leisurely pace to allow for, variously, wandering off to explore interesting looking bits, leisurely meals, and really savoring the rain and midges.

We'd be coming up on the morning train out of Glasgow. Vague plan at the moment would be to get off at Corrour and spend that day working towards a wild camp at the lochan at Choire Rath, just north of Stob Ban. We'd come past the bothy, so that's an option if the weather's foul. That'd put us pretty much where we want to be nice and early the next day. So we could have a lie in.

Next day we'd pick up the above linked route at Stob Choire Claurigh and follow it to the bealach between the Aonach ridge and the CMD and camp there. Again, perfect position for the next day.

That next day would be up onto the CMD, onto the Ben and into Fort Bill.

Any comments on this are welcome, but I'm particularly interested in suitability of those camping spots - they look fine, but if you happen to know they're covered with razor-sharp stones, or an even better spot just next door, that'd be useful info.

Another concern might be doing some of the ascents / descents with full camping loads. I think though that we'll have eaten a lot of the weight by the toughest parts, we'll have plenty of time for rests and will not be rushing, and apart from once we're on the CMD we should be able to rely on finding water.

Any thoughts? This would be later this month, by the way.
rgf101

Re: Wild camps on the Lochaber Traverse

Postby mrssanta » Fri May 02, 2014 9:55 pm

Can't comment on the camp sites I'm afraid but will be looking forward to the trip report to see how you got on
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Kevin29035 » Sat May 03, 2014 4:24 am

I camped once between Sgurr Choinnich Mor and Aonach Beag, brilliant campsite, but in bad weather might be a bit blowy.

The bealach between the Aonachs and CMd is also good for camping, I have a friend who did this and he rated it. The gap between the hills is quite narrow, I suggest the Choinnich Mor - Aonach Beag campsite has the better (wider I suppose) views. All doable though :)
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby rgf101 » Sat May 03, 2014 2:38 pm

Thanks for the tip, Kevin. I've also come across a video of a camp on Aonach Beag. Very tempting. I think you're right, that'll be preferable to camping between two ridges, even if it does mean a bit more walking the next day.

The descent from the Aonach ridge is repeatedly described as steep and slippy. Given the full loads I guess we might be better off dropping back towards Glen Nevis and coming up the middle. See what conditions are like.

I will try not to disappoint, Mrs Santa.
rgf101

Postby Kevin29035 » Tue May 06, 2014 4:28 pm

rgf101 wrote:The descent from the Aonach ridge is repeatedly described as steep and slippy. Given the full loads I guess we might be better off dropping back towards Glen Nevis and coming up the middle. See what conditions are like.

Cool. At least go for a look and check it out, it might be easier than you thought, detouring as you say would be a mega p.i.t.a.

When folk say loose and rubbly I feel it's more tedious than dangerous; just time consuming to pick through the bad ground.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby rgf101 » Thu May 29, 2014 3:34 pm

Ended up doing something completely different, but here's the write-up anyway.
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42591

Kevin, although I didn't actually use it, thanks for your time and advice - I also came across your website while researching, and it was (would have been, and hopefully will be) a great help.
rgf101

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion