walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Just Creag Pitridh

Just Creag Pitridh

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri May 02, 2014 7:47 pm

Munros included on this walk: Creag Pitridh

Date walked: 02/05/2014

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 800m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Just like earlier in the week a weather window appeared, big difference this time - forecast was fairly accurate :lol:
My original plan was to head out tomorrow (Saturday) and pick off CP, however Mrs Flyer had other ideas and who am I to argue :lol: I am being dragged (driving duty) to the far east of Fife tomorrow, which involves wandering for what seems like hours round a nursery looking for plants, the good news is that I will be treated to lunch at Anster Fish Bar and who can resist lunch there?
Creag Pitridh was the only red balloon in the area, I did the other 2 of the trio a few years ago :roll:

So I left Fife fairly early 7.30am and it didn't look very promising - rain, but I am ever the optomist :wink:
My optomism was rewarded as I reached Perth the roads were dry and no rain - yippee :lol:
Arrived at the layby come car park a couple of hours later. I assembled my bike, which involves putting the front wheel back on & inflating the tyre and I was good to go.

DSCF3989.JPG
Parking area with the bike in the background

DSCF3988.JPG
The way ahead

DSCF3986.JPG
River Spean

The track to the hills is one of the better one's and ideal for cycling, the slight drawback is that on the way to hills there is a steady incline, but the plus point is the return ride is almost a freewheel without having to touch the brakes. I would guess the cycle distance is about 5km. When I parked/locked my bike there was already another bike resting and when I returned there were 5 bikes, so other folk had the same idea :lol:

DSCF3980.JPG
The path upwards after the bike had been parked

DSCF3977.JPG
Looking back to the River Spean & the reservoir

Once I left the main path and headed up following what look liked a path heading in an upwards direction, that soon disappeared. As a result the going got a bit tougher, tussocky grass & soft boggy stuff. Big mistake here was not to look at the map :( I just bounded up the hill & picked a spot on the horizon which turned out to be a subsidiary Sgurr an Saighdeir which I reached and then saw where I should have headed :lol:
There is certainly nothing remotely difficult about the ascent, even if you do head in the wrong direction :)

Summit was reached & the temperature had certainly dropped, had to put on my 2nd fleece & shock horror - my gloves :lol:

DSCF3971.JPG
Summit cairn, nothing special - note the new rucksack

DSCF3965.JPG
Zoomed - Beinn a Chlachair

DSCF3964.JPG
Geal Charn

DSCF3967.JPG
Creag Meagaidh looking majestic

DSCF3961.JPG
Loch Laggan in the background, Lochan Na Farra in the foreground (so it says on the map)

DSCF3957.JPG
Looking west

DSCF3977.JPG
Looking back towards the start

The descent started off very well, a good path down but as usual it completely disappeared so it was just a matter of heading down. All was fine until about two thirds of the way down my left heel went down a hole & my knee took the full brunt of my substantial body weight. So it was just a matter of hobbling gingerly downwards.
I met a couple who were in discussion about what direction to take, I duly advised them not to follow my route. They were planning to take in all 3 at a leisurely pace & as it was after midday, they were in for an evening finish.

Enjoyable but not a spectacular day, CP certainly gives you great views in all directions.
The big question now is - where next? The drives are getting longer, 210 mile round trip :(
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Just Creag Pitridh

Postby jepsonscotland » Fri May 02, 2014 8:08 pm

Nice job, Martin.
Glad the weather held for you this time.
A good long ride in, but with an absolute treat of some spectacular views. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Plus, for those of us heading to Creag Meagaidh tomorrow, a view of current snow conditions! :lol:
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri May 02, 2014 8:16 pm

jepsonscotland wrote:Plus, for those of us heading to Creag Meagaidh tomorrow, a view of current snow conditions! :lol:
Chris

Hope the weather holds for tomorrow, one thing I can guarantee is you will love Creag Meagaidh :wink:
It's about time you submitted a report Chris :lol: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Gordie12 » Fri May 02, 2014 8:29 pm

Was on the same road as you today Fife Flyer (did the two Loch Lochy Munros).

Have to confess, had to put the gloves on as well at the 1st top - bit of a cold wind blowin.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland