walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

River crossing techniques

River crossing techniques

Postby Quixoticgeek » Sun May 11, 2014 9:40 pm

The walks I want to do up in Scotland, are likely to involve some river crossings.

What are peoples preferred techniques for river crossing?

I know some people change shoes into crocs, and some people keep their shoes on and dry them out at lunch/camp.

What is your preferred method? My hiking footwear is a pair of TNF Hedgehog approach shoes.

Cheers

Julia
Quixoticgeek
Hill Bagger

Re: River crossing techniques

Postby hailiamdigby » Sun May 11, 2014 9:55 pm

I did the river crossing you hear about in the Fisherfield forest.
I took my shoes off and walked across the smooth pebbles that line the river bed.
It still hurt like a mother but I managed.
In hindsight, I realize that if I had taken a pair of flip flops, I could afford to get those wet and still have the dry boots for after the crossing.
I'd also take elastic bands or something to keep your rolled-up trousers from constantly slipping down, over your knees and potentially in to the river you're crossing :(
hailiamdigby
Mountain Walker

Munros:221   Corbetts:92
Fionas:73   Donalds:47
Sub 2000:173   

Postby rockhopper » Sun May 11, 2014 11:00 pm

Flipflops if there's a chance they may be needed as they're very light..........wetsuit shoes instead more probably if it's a definite the water will need to be waded. Two poles to help keep you steady as well.

hailiamdigby wrote:I'd also take elastic bands or something to keep your rolled-up trousers from constantly slipping down, over your knees and potentially in to the river you're crossing :(
Easier just to take them off as well if the water's knee deep.....
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon May 12, 2014 8:25 am

I prefer a bridge myself, or if it's a big river, use a boat. A pole for vaulting over is fun, and you can keep it and laugh at your mates stuck on the other side. Trying to climb across on a deer fence is a very dodgey proposition. When trying to find a bridge which you know is there somewhere, do not aim directly for it, because if you then get to the river and find no bridge, you are faced with the quandary: do you search up or downstream? Instead aim upstream and walk down until you find the bridge. Weaving your own coracle is probably impractical in most situations, but a quick google search will show you how.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby basscadet » Mon May 12, 2014 8:51 am

Well it depends on the river.. There arent many where you cant find stepping stones or a bridge.. I can count the ones I have had to wade on one hand.. 8)
if I have to wade, it is best to have some kind of shoes on your feet, be it crocs, flip flops or just your boots (with socks and foot beds removed and dry in the rucksack). Try and look to the far bank instead of at your feet :)
Like I say though, that is a very rare occurence. Mostly there are rocks or a split in the river or something that facilitates a crossing. In spate, your poles not only help with the pressure of the water, but also good for finding rocks just below the surface obscured by white water..
At the end of the day, unless the rivers are raging in spate, the worst that would happen if you get it wrong is you get a wet foot - not worth getting yourself worried or stressed about really :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Nigels3011 » Mon May 12, 2014 10:46 am

Geneally, I think you can get across most rivers. My choice would be to take spare footware. I have only done this once though. On a second visit to Strath na Sealga where I knew from my first visit that its diifcult to cross without getting your feet wet. I tried walking on water but the water wasn't thick enough to overcome the effects of gravity. I took an old pair of trainers and they worked really well.
Nigels3011
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   
Hewitts:45
Wainwrights:37   Islands:3

Postby gaffr » Mon May 12, 2014 1:18 pm

Has anyone suggested that it is worthwhile releasing the hip belt of the rucksack when getting into the deeper fast moving stuff?
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon May 12, 2014 8:48 pm

smsas0001.jpg
Cant see what all the fuss is about to be honest.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby CharlesT » Tue May 13, 2014 11:20 am

gammy leg walker wrote:
smsas0001.jpg
Cant see what all the fuss is about to be honest.

When did you manage to snap Caberfeidh? :D
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby electricfly » Wed May 14, 2014 8:53 pm

Here are the techniques adopted in the Mountain Leader courses...

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Fz2U ... te&f=false

Hope this is useful. :wink:
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Fri May 16, 2014 1:27 pm

Never use crocs, ever, for anything, ever.
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Dan Scheer » Fri May 16, 2014 3:36 pm

so far I only ever had to cross rivers while on the way home or exhausted beyond the point of caring and just walked through and accepted wet feet. even in winter the water inside your boots warms up quickly enough to not be a major problem (as long as you keep moving) and can even be a nice (for a few mintues) refreshment from sweaty feet ;)
Dan Scheer
Mountaineer

Munros:36   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Islands:25

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion