walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Aviemore walking suggestions

Aviemore walking suggestions

Postby barrybarrywatson » Mon May 19, 2014 12:46 pm

I'm looking to walk a munro or maybe a few in the first week of June when I'm in Aviemore. It looks like the nearest two are Cairn Gorm and Bynack More.

If anyone has walked these before, could they suggest a good starting point, what its like and besides checking the weather what it's likely to be like underfoot?

Thanks.
barrybarrywatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:34   Corbetts:1

Re: Aviemore walking suggestions

Postby prog99 » Mon May 19, 2014 7:31 pm

Easiest -
Cairngorm. Park at the ski centre upper carpark and follow the path up Sron an Aonaich past the Ptarmigan and onto the summit.
Bynack Mor. Park at Glenmore Lodge. Follow the path to just before the bothy, signed to Braemar.Ignore any other splits at the burn until on the plateau around 780m. South to the summit ridge and pick the highest of the tors.

You can make this a circuit if feeling fit, descending to the Saddle from Bynack mor and then pick your way up to Cairngorm from there.

Lots of more interesting ways, especially to cairngorm. A circuit over the northern corries is good.
Also starting from the lower car park, up Coire na Ciste and over the munro top of Cnap Coire na Spreidhe to Cairngorm gives an interesting approach.

Couldn't comment on underfoot conditions, not been up there for a few months. Generally high up on the cairngorms is very good. Likely to still be snowfields.

Enjoy.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby barrybarrywatson » Mon May 19, 2014 8:09 pm

Thanks for the info. I reckon I will try making it a circuit.
barrybarrywatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:34   Corbetts:1

Postby wesil20 » Mon May 19, 2014 10:07 pm

A circuit is good because you can approach Cairn Gorm avoiding the skifields. A slightly shorter circuit starts at Coire na Ciste, heading North East on the track to Lochan na Beinne then heading east over a small col into Strath Nethy, over Bynack More, then down to the saddle and over Cairn Gorm.
wesil20
Munro compleatist

Munros:122   
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:11   

Postby nikcster » Thu May 22, 2014 3:43 pm

I was on Ben Macdui at the weekend and there was hardly any snow at all...
nikcster

Munros:48   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion