walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Any low-level interesting walks...???

Any low-level interesting walks...???

Postby Alteknacker » Thu May 22, 2014 6:18 pm

Having planned a few days in the Highlands for the end of May, I'm quite reluctant to cancel it if the long-term forecast for wet weather is correct (done enough walking in clag this year).

So I'm looking for some attractive sub-600 metre walks, 20 - 35km, in the hope of missing some of the clag.

Attractive = plenty of height variation, remote, some scrambling if possible.

Any suggestions gratefully received!!

Thanks in advance...

Alter Knacker
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: Any low-level interesting walks...???

Postby Sgurr » Thu May 22, 2014 6:24 pm

Take a look in the sub 2000 section. It all depends where you want to base yourself. Suilven is a great walk and is sub 2000, but may attract the clag. Do you want to go that far north? At least it looks as if it will be DRY http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643818, and if you haven't booked any accommodation, doing it from the Suileag bothy is fun...though it may be a bit crowded.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Alteknacker » Thu May 22, 2014 7:23 pm

Sgurr wrote:Take a look in the sub 2000 section. It all depends where you want to base yourself. Suilven is a great walk and is sub 2000, but may attract the clag. Do you want to go that far north? At least it looks as if it will be DRY http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643818, and if you haven't booked any accommodation, doing it from the Suileag bothy is fun...though it may be a bit crowded.

Suilven is a bit far North (11 hours drive one way), and I only have 3 days. This is one of my dream hills, but I need a bit more time. Spent 22 hours in the car at the beginning of the month to do Beinn Eighe and Liathach.... worth it, but a bit of a pain.

The 2000m is a great suggestion - thanks for this.

Ref the BBC weather: are we looking at the same dates? End of May showing rain every day except Thursday!!?!!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby Sgurr » Thu May 22, 2014 7:38 pm

When you want a different forecast, try the Norwegian one. just as likely to be right, though eveb it has low cloud for the relevant days

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Scotland/Fort_William/long.html

Went into Barisdale last year towards the end of May and both the BBC and the Norwegians gave very iffy forecasts. They both agreed that one four hour period in the four days would be OK, but different ones, so we didn't know when to head for Slat Bheinn, our main reason for being there. As it turned out, we could have done it on either of the last two days, which were 5 & 6 days hence at the last internet connection before we got to Kinloch Hourn. End of May is a bit distant to get an accurate forecast from anyone...but many of the sub 2000s are well worth a visit, maybe incorporating into a longer walk.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Alteknacker » Thu May 22, 2014 7:51 pm

Sgurr wrote:When you want a different forecast, try the Norwegian one. just as likely to be right, though eveb it has low cloud for the relevant days

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Scotland/Fort_William/long.html

Went into Barisdale last year towards the end of May and both the BBC and the Norwegians gave very iffy forecasts. They both agreed that one four hour period in the four days would be OK, but different ones, so we didn't know when to head for Slat Bheinn, our main reason for being there. As it turned out, we could have done it on either of the last two days, which were 5 & 6 days hence at the last internet connection before we got to Kinloch Hourn. End of May is a bit distant to get an accurate forecast from anyone...but many of the sub 2000s are well worth a visit, maybe incorporating into a longer walk.

OK, thanks. I know what you mean about the unreliability of the forecasts. Unfortunately I always seem to be on the wrong side of that uncertainty :(
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion