walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Spidean a'Choire Leith

Spidean a'Choire Leith

Postby lochlaggan » Wed May 28, 2014 9:44 pm

I climbed Mullach an Rathain from the start of its west ridge and came down Coireag Dhearg due to the fact that I freak out at exposure and need some reassuring words of comfort that Spidean a'Choire Leith up and down cant be that bad. With only 12 Munros to climb, today I chickened out of climbing Spidean a'Choire Leith choosing the two Corbetts south east.

Is the exposure that bad that I need to be roped and guided or is that just ridiculous?

Your thoughts please.
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:212
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Re: Spidean a'Choire Leith

Postby jmarkb » Thu May 29, 2014 8:43 am

lochlaggan wrote:I climbed Mullach an Rathain from the start of its west ridge and came down Coireag Dhearg due to the fact that I freak out at exposure and need some reassuring words of comfort that Spidean a'Choire Leith up and down cant be that bad.

It's not that bad! The normal route is via the col W of Stuc a' Choire Dhuibh Bhig. The very first section of the ridge heading W is a bit narrow, but there is no technical difficulty and thereafter it gets wider as far as SaCL. It's possible to avoid the ridge altogether by leaving the path at about 550m and heading up via the open coire SE of the main summit. This is described in the SMC guide: there is a short scramble required to get over one of the sandstone tiers, and it is probably best done in good visibility.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby lochlaggan » Thu May 29, 2014 11:10 pm

Ah jmarkb that's helpful about getting into the corrie. i did wonder as on the 1:25000 map it looked possible. I'm so putting this top off and just need to get it done.

Thanks for your knowledge.
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Postby NickyRannoch » Thu May 29, 2014 11:25 pm

i suppose its easy to say sitting on my couch but there really is nothing to it. Coming in from the east all the excitement is after SCL. From the hills you have done previously there is nothing you wont have done before.

Stuc a Choire Dhuibh Bhig is well worth a bit of exploration too if you are going up to the bealach and want to make a day of it.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby lochlaggan » Sat May 31, 2014 9:10 am

Thanks Nicky I'm gonna get on with climbing it this week and may indeed visit the east top.

Cheers

Grant
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion