walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Brecon Beacons 2.5 day walking route?

Brecon Beacons 2.5 day walking route?

Postby nychiker » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:53 pm

I'll be traveling from New York to London next week for work and would really love to get out of the city and into the Welsh countryside for some walking and wild camping the weekend of June 13-15. It's rather challenging figuring out routes from here in the States; I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

It looks like I could get a train from London to Abergavenny after work on Friday that would place me there by 6pm. I'm thinking that I could set off towards Crickhowell when I arrive and make camp somewhere en route. But I'm not sure how long the walk is between Abergavenny and Crickhowell or where might be a good place to wild camp en route (and I do understand that wild camping is not officially sanctioned in the area).

On Saturday, I'd love to do a longish walk (e.g. 8-10 miles) and end up at Llyn y Fan Fach and camp there. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for where to begin this hike and how to get there from Crickhowell (assuming that I'm near there on Saturday morning). I'm particularly confused about the bus system within the park, as the National Park has announced that is has discontinued the Beacons Bus service but I have the impression that there are still local buses running?

Finally, on Sunday, I would like to do a moderate walk (e.g. 6-8 miles) from Llyn y Fan Fach to someplace where I could catch a train (or a bus to the train) back to London, perhaps Llandovery?

My main priorities are natural beauty and solitude, hence my interest in heading to the western part of the park and skipping Pen y Fan.

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer.
nychiker
Hill Bagger

Re: Brecon Beacons 2.5 day walking route?

Postby nerabus7932 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:26 pm

Hi Nychiker, bit complicated this! If I was you I wouldn't go to Abergavenny - it's quite far over to the East of the Park and quite populated and it's a fair distance to Lyn y fan. I think you would be better catching the train from London to Swansea and getting a bus to Craig y nos - see Cymru Connect timetable - Swansea to Brecon or Neath to Brecon might be better - I must admit I had a look at it but it just made my head spin... Then you could walk up towards Lyn y fan, either on the A4067 then the Trecastle road, or go up the side of Carreg Goch and on towards the Fans. Camp somewhere up there where nobody can see you! On Saturday you could walk over the Fans, heading towards Llandovery through Myddfai. If you follow the Fans tops round then drop down to Llanddeusant, going towards Llandovery, it's a good days walk. There used to be a camp site at Llandeusant but I don't know if it's still there. Again I don't think anyone would be bothered if you camped out of sight, but if it's farmland just bang on the farmer's door and ask, the Welsh are usually friendly. You should be able to pick up the Heart of Wales Line train at Llandovery early on Sunday afternoon, which would take you back to Swansea for 16.00ish. The other option is simply to follow the Gower coast path from Swansea - spectacular, lonely in places, plenty official and unofficial places to camp, and a good bet if the weather is bad. Check out Gower Buses to organise a route. Best wishes, Andrew
nerabus7932
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion