walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Foinaven & A' Cheir Ghorm Ridge..more than a Corbett !

Foinaven & A' Cheir Ghorm Ridge..more than a Corbett !

Postby scoob999 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:43 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Foinaven

Date walked: 29/05/2014

Time taken: 7.22 hours

Distance: 27.2 km

Ascent: 1255m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Words can't do this Mountain justice, More than a Corbett, Better than most Munros and one of Scotlands finest Mountains 8)

Not as fit as we used to be, we decided to do Foinaven on it's own instead of linking it with Arkle and Meall Horn. And with a long (over 1k long) ridge, we chose that as our descent route :shock: What a SUPERB ridge nothing to scarey but with a great sense of exposure at places, a highly recommended route

We decided to cycle in to save a long road walk, although it's a good land rover track there is a lot of loose stones perhaps a big bigger than we would've liked :shock: Funny but it didn't seem so bad on the way out :?

Anyway, hope you enjoy the video :D
Attachments

foinaven.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

foinaven graph1.JPG
foinaven graph.JPG
Last edited by scoob999 on Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Re: Foinaven & A' Cheir Ghorm Ridge..more than a Corbett !

Postby jmarkb » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:00 pm

Think you posted the wrong link there: found the right one on your YouTube page, though: very nice! :D

Must go back and do A'Cheir Ghorm - we cut the day short and only did the main summit and Ceann Garbh because of the weather. It was too hot (28 degrees at the bottom) and we couldn't face going up the screes!!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby scoob999 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:32 pm

Ooops :roll:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Postby scoob999 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:35 pm

Sorted now :D

You got a sneak preview of the video of the next trip report i'm posting :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:36 pm

Absolutely spot on Scoob - Foinaven is definitely one of our best mountains (just been displaced from my own personal favourite by Sgurr nan Gillean) - have dot to return soon and do the traverse to include Arkle.
Seeing your vid will be giving Sick Kid nightmares - we went straight up the screes from Glas coire Granda which are simply the most demanding screes I've ever ascended - make An Stac screes on skye seem like a walk in the park - and she's never forgiven me for that particular route choice :lol:

Think the Corbetts of Sutherland are part of my Summer 2015 schedule :lol: :lol:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby scoob999 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:44 pm

weaselmaster wrote:Absolutely spot on Scoob - Foinaven is definitely one of our best mountains (just been displaced from my own personal favourite by Sgurr nan Gillean) - have dot to return soon and do the traverse to include Arkle.
Seeing your vid will be giving Sick Kid nightmares - we went straight up the screes from Glas coire Granda which are simply the most demanding screes I've ever ascended - make An Stac screes on skye seem like a walk in the park - and she's never forgiven me for that particular route choice :lol:

Think the Corbetts of Sutherland are part of my Summer 2015 schedule :lol: :lol:

We came down the scree which was bad enough :shock: don't think i'd fancy going up it :shock: Wasn't as bad as the LONG boulder field from Arkle over to Meall Horn though
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Postby AnnieMacD » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:43 pm

That was fantastic - almost as exciting as if I was doing it myself! It's a long way from anywhere though. :(
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:26 pm

I see what you mean - haven't been here but that did look a cracker ! - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Sick Kid » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:47 pm

scoob999 wrote:
weaselmaster wrote:Absolutely spot on Scoob - Foinaven is definitely one of our best mountains (just been displaced from my own personal favourite by Sgurr nan Gillean) - have dot to return soon and do the traverse to include Arkle.

We came down the scree which was bad enough :shock: don't think i'd fancy going up it :shock: Wasn't as bad as the LONG boulder field from Arkle over to Meall Horn though

You're right I've never forgiven you! :evil:

Great vid as usual Scoob, that ridge looks pretty narrow in places!!! :shock:
Sick Kid
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+50
Sub 2000:364   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:13   

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland