walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Eastern Highlands with a 2 year old

Eastern Highlands with a 2 year old

Postby tripowski » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:22 pm

Hello all

Been an avid lurker over the past few years but haven't posted until now!

My wife and I had a few fantastic trips to the W Coast (Skye, Lochaber and Assynt) before we had kids but haven't been back to the Highlands since our son was born (we live in London...). This September we've been invited to a wedding near Perth and think it would be rude not to tag on a week in the Highlands afterwards.

We're planning to hire a car in Edinburgh and would like to stay in 1-2 places not too far from Perth (so not Skye again) that would be good places to visit with a 2 year old. I'm more familiar with the Lake Districts and have fond memories of being a kid pottering around the shores of the lakes, being carried up smaller peaks in a backpack, that sort of thing. Where might work for us in Scotland? I'm quite curious to visit the Cairngorms as I've not been there but wonder if the environment might be a bit harsh and distances quite far considering we'll have the kid.

Thoughts appreciated!
tripowski

Munros:1   
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:40   

Re: Eastern Highlands with a 2 year old

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:12 am

Given that you’re likely going to be carrying the wean you can do a lot worse than a Mayar and Dreish double. It’s a lovely walk in the right weather – esp. if you enter via Corrie Fee.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/angus/mayar-driesh.shtml

The Angus Glens are a much over-looked and under-rated part of the world. You could even have a very rewarding walk around that area without bagging any hills of note.

Check out the regional walks listings here: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/angus/

The Angus coast is lovely too – with lots of characterful wee towns and coastal villages, and some stunning beaches.

Enjoy.

PS: There’s only one “lake” in Scotland. We tend to refer to them as “lochs” or “lochans” here :wink:
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:12 am

Try Rothiemurchus area. Either camp at Loch Morlich (expensive, but great for kids) or the Rothiemurchus campsite, or if you haven't a tent there are bunkhouses and B&Bs in the area. You have easy access to the bigger hills of you get 'a day off' but there are also wonderful shorter walks through woods, round lochs and up smaller hills where a toddler can walk part way and be carried the rest. There's also lots of touristy stuff to do in Aviemore and surrounding villages, and Inverness is just an hour up the road if city therapy is required.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:55 am

The Fife Coastal Path is nice (though not mountainous). Drop off your car in the car-park off the roundabout as you come into St. Andrews from Perth. The bus station is very near....catch a bus to Crail if you are feeling strong , or more realistically with a heavy kid to Kingsbarns, walk the coastal path back to St. Andrews, stop off at the East sands for bucket and spade and carry on to the more sheltered Castle beach for digging and paddling. From here it is under a mile back to your car.

Or there are nice forest walks round Kinnoull Hill at Perth itself, though at 2, your child will probably still drop off in the car for longer trips, so you have yet to encounter the dread "Are we there yet?" 10% into a car-drive to the nearest mountain.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby bydand_loon » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:46 pm

Maybe look at Pitlochry or Blair Athol as a base, both close to Perth and nice wee places, although Pitlochry does get kinda bus toured to death.

All with in an hour (ish) of both - Loch Rannoch for pottering about, Glen Shee for a couple of very easy munros (nip through to Braemar for supper) Harrods of the north (ok house of braur) for some new tweeds, Blair Athol Castle, Fish Ladder in Pitlochry, Glen Tilt in Blair Athol, Glen/Loch Errochty walk, Aberfeldy and surrounding areas, distilleries galore. Be aware the bridge of tilt (Blair Athol) hotel is utter dung, avoid.
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby tripowski » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:46 am

Thanks all for the suggestions. On googling, I think the Rothiemurchus idea was maybe most like the sort of thing I had in mind and it's not too far from Perth. This walk looks beautiful, for instance, and even a two year old should be able to manage to walk some of it!

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/uath-lochans.shtml

This one looks good too

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/loch-an-eilein.shtml

If I were to do a harder walk on my own one day, which would you recommend? I'm all about fantastic scenery and I'm not up for an odyssey given it'd be away from the family - so which walks in the Cairngorms offer 'bang for your buck'?
tripowski

Munros:1   
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:40   

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:53 am

tripowski wrote:If I were to do a harder walk on my own one day, which would you recommend? I'm all about fantastic scenery and I'm not up for an odyssey given it'd be away from the family - so which walks in the Cairngorms offer 'bang for your buck'?

I think I'd recommend doing Ben Macdui, via Fiacaill Coire an-t Sneachda (with option of adding Cairngorm on the return), or Sgoran Dubh Mor and Sgor Gaoith from Glen Feshie. If you only have a half-day, then Meall a' Buachaille is a nice wee hill, or do the circuit of the Northern Corries.

Couple of other family walks:
Glenmore to the Green Lochan (part of http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/ryvoan.shtml )
Loch Garten and Loch Mallachie http://cairngorms.co.uk/resource/docs/publications/11102012/CNPA.Paper.1848.Boat%20of%20Garten%20Trails.pdf
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion