walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion on a Fine Summers Day

Schiehallion on a Fine Summers Day

Postby spiderwebb » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:34 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 17/06/2014

Time taken: 3.75 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The prospect of a night shift at work in Aberdeen loomed, but it did mean a day off to follow. So after my long day in the Cairngorms Sunday I was looking for something a tad smaller to avoid spending half a day in bed and messing with the internal clock.

Schiehallion seemed to fit the bill, a change of scenery and 4 to 6 hours looked about right. I must confess when the alarm went off at 8am I had some doubts, the 12 hour shift and 4 hours sleep not helping.

But a walk was a better prospect than the duvet. Some things are for sharing.

I hadn’t checked the forecast and on return from Aberdeen in the early hors it had been raining but a quick weather check, I looked out the window, weather checked, I packed to go.

It was 1145hrs when I started, its not the closest of hills to me, but heh ho, on arrival at the car park….there is no escape.

Aplogies if the pics are not to the usual standard by fone jobby as left the camera behind, half asleep no doubt.

WH1.jpg

It was a fine summers day, and from recent reads, the time of year etc dictated axe, crampons etc replaced with midge hat, repellent and the likes, but again as per Sunday no need for either.

A cool breeze accompanied the ascent and soon a good way up looking back to the car park.

WH2.jpg

Now for those short in the leg or sense of humour or both, it will come as good news that the restored path and its steps are set at a good height, good progress will be made until the path runs out at a large cairn. Here I was just over an hour from setting out and the hard work was done, the summit ridge stretched out before me to the summit itself.

WH3.jpg

The view back shows the terrain is somewhat lumpy from here, there is a path of sorts although its easier to follow down than up, I certainly missed a lot of it.

WH4.jpg

I held off stopping until the summit where the views were stunning in all directions. Unlike Sundays little wander I was able to identify much more.

Ben Lawers standing tall directly over Carn Mairg (Glen Lyon) is this view.

WH5.jpg

To the west across Loch Rannoch to Glencoe, Ben Nevis and Bidean clear to see.

WH6.jpg

Zoomed here Ben Nevis dead centre, Bidean to its left.

WH7.jpg

The view East, the summit reminded me of Ben Rinnes, albeit a bit taller, but I guess if its local it would make an ideal training walk a few times a week, at least to the large cairn, for anyone who needs to get hill fit.

WH8.jpg

I lingered on the summit for 45 minutes, taking lunch, soaking up the sun, with no midges or any other crawlies to bother me.

So to descent, once over the awkward stuff at the summit I found the path which did avoid some of the worst, but on a day like this who cares if it takes time.

Made short work of the descent, John Muir Trust know the right size for steps !

Before long I was back at the start, but not before a dip of the tootsies in the wee burn, heaven !!! I’m sure I saw steam coming off.

WH9.jpg

On return home, passed by Sundays walk, the large snowfield clearly visible from the A(, which showed the path from Auchlean and also Sgurr Gaoith summit cairn. Its great to pass hills you’ve already been acquainted with….memories.

All in a great day, well ok half a day, 3.75 hts which considering the 45 minutes at the top seemed pretty good, one to return to in winter methinks. Apart from the return home to the guy upsatirs singing hymns, now I dont mind a good cheery hymn now and then but cheery they are not, be so glad to move out !!
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Re: Schiehallion on a Fine Summers Day

Postby scoob999 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:15 pm

Views look good from the top :D **** with rain all the way up and down this one for me :(
A possible wedding day walk now though :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Hill-loving lady » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:26 pm

One for a Bob the Dog walk on the way to Mum's and the kids in Glasgow after Independence Day
, has been suggested as a compleation hill - not sure about that suggestion though
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:16   

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:32 am

scoob999 wrote:Views look good from the top :D **** with rain all the way up and down this one for me :(
A possible wedding day walk now though :D

LOl, is the day set then ? :D

Hill-loving lady wrote:has been suggested as a compleation hill - not sure about that suggestion though

Ideal if its local for post celebrations, like Wyvis for Ron I guess but not nearly special enough for a compleation hill, there is only one for me, plus one in reserve for 281
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby Beaner001 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:25 am

Your some boy for one boy Spidey!! :clap: I'd have been hobbling about for a day or two after that epic you did :shock:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:43 pm

Beaner001 wrote:Your some boy for one boy Spidey!! :clap: I'd have been hobbling about for a day or two after that epic you did :shock:

Haha, I thought I'd be feeling like that myself, but was a great day, Scheihallion was just a stroll :wink:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland