walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bheinn Bhan, Glen Loy

Bheinn Bhan, Glen Loy

Postby malky_c » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:45 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Bhan (Great Glen)

Date walked: 13/06/2014

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 770m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbetts: Bheinn Bhan.
Date: 13/06/2014.
Distance: 8km
Ascent: 770m
Time taken: 4 hours.
Weather: Hot and claggy - drifting mist occasionally clearing.

Off to join my parents at the caravan they were renting in Corpach - Gill dropped me off there at lunch time before continuing on down to a hen weekend at Loch Lomond. Weather wasn't looking too impressive, so we decided to go somewhere close by. We dropped mum off at Gairlochy to walk back to Corpach via the canal, then pulled up in Glen Loy. I tried to tempt dad with Druim Fada or Meall a' Phubuill - hills I haven't been up yet, but he was set on Bheinn Bhan. Fair enough - traces of a path would make it straightforward, and if it did clear, there would be good views across Loch Arkaig.

Bheinn Bhan.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We sat out another shower then headed off into the midges. Round the houses at Inverskilavulin and onto the faint path behind.

Inverskilavulin:

Allt Coire Mhuilinn:

Some nice falls on the way up, and a fairly easy way ahead. We passed a guy making good speed on his descent. I have vague memories of the path leading all the way onto the plateau from my previous visit, but we lost it in slightly rougher ground before then.

We stopped on the summit to see if the cloud would clear. It almost did, and I got a couple of fleeting glimpses of Loch Arkaig. That was it though. In 2008 I had nipped up here on the way to Glenfinnan and seen a similar amount of nothing, although that time there had been a dusting of snow and a fresh breeze.

Cloud almost lifting on the summit plateau:

We decided to complete the circuit of Coire a' Mhuilinn, which was new ground for me. Again, we got the odd look down the north side, including a rough looking corrie.

Looking back to the summit:

Things cleared a little more on our descent, which was steeper than the way up, and Stob a Ghrianain cleared completely. I knew we should have gone up there!

Aonachs across the Great Glen:

Stob a Ghrianain of Druim Fada:

Looking through beyond Fasfearn, there was the odd glimpse of the Loch Shiel hills in Ardgour, then we rejoined our outward route and braved the midges back at the car.

Druim Fada and through the glen to Fasfearn:

Dad on the way back to the car:

Not a bad afternoon out in the end, but not sure if it was really worth writing up!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Bheinn Bhan, Glen Loy

Postby AnnieMacD » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:37 pm

Definitely worth writing up. Great that you and your Dad are getting so many hills in together. I would love to have seen the view from this one - bet it's spectacular.

I didn't realize there was another Beinn Bhan Corbett... But people didn't wander very far in those days!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Bheinn Bhan, Glen Loy

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:25 pm

I had considerably better weather for this one and aye the views are extensive ,we slept in the sun for ages up on Beinn Bhan .....tis an Abrach thing :D

Great wee hill :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland