walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

sore foot

sore foot

Postby startedlate » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:18 pm

This is my first post and I really hope someone can help . I only started hiking / camping when I retired last year and like thousands of others I walked and camped the west highland way . That was me hooked and using my pension I attempted to lighten my load .This I did and my last rucksack weight was 21.5 lb. Now to the problem after walking the east highland way in late March I sustained plantar fasciitis damage to my right foot . Clinic strap my foot and gave me inserts to wear and exercises to do. However I am still unable to walk carrying a rucksack without seerring pain . Has anyone any knowledge of this complaint and any advice to impart . Yours in anticipation .
startedlate
Scrambler

Re: sore foot

Postby donalmc » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:11 pm

I have had planter fas for over a year was painfull in morn done stretches can walk ,tried resting it didnt do any good so i just suffered and kept walking with insoles tried different kinds never used superfeet got ironman ones at moment £15 out decatholin doc said it sorts itself eventually read a lot of articles about it everyone done their own thing dont think any cures 100% i would just soldier on as much as i could ,could last for 6 months or years .Some people get it on 2 feet think couple posts already on here met lots of other walkers with it ,as i said dont think anything perfect cure itried tennis balls and other stuff to exercise it just takes time it will eventaully get better but its not very pleaseant .
donalmc
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:136
Fionas:83   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:16   
Islands:24

Postby Dan Scheer » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:37 am

I got plantat fasciitis from a long distance walk, tried insoles and all that too. they allowed me to walk again normally but still had a lot of pain for anything more than just walking around the office. The pain just got gradually less and about a year later it was all gone. Never did any special exercises or treatment, just gave it time. The first few months were pretty bad but then it became bearable, so if you only got yours in March, it is probably quite normal they still hurt.
Dan Scheer
Mountaineer

Munros:36   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Islands:25

Postby Martin 282 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:03 pm

I regret to say I've had Plan. Fas. for over 10 years. It comes & goes. I have found Superfeet insoles & other makes in all my footwear to be a great help. I do know that personal weight has a great effect & losing a stone helped me. If only I could lose another stone but that would mean less beer as well as no cakes! I am not suggesting your fat but if you are lose it.
good luck.
Martin 282
Walker

Munros:266   Corbetts:49
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:150
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby hillwalker02 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:20 pm

I over done a long distance walk which triggered off same symptoms on my left foot.
Next morning i was unable to stand due to the pain and doc diagnosed PF straight away.
The condition eased off after time and was back in the hills after about 3 months although it never cleared up completely until around 13/14 months.
I used foot gel pads which are sold in most outdoor shops which i found really helped.
Otherwise no easy fix .

Hillwalker02..
hillwalker02
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion