walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Hope - It's a Long Way Away

Ben Hope - It's a Long Way Away

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:19 am

Munros included on this walk: Ben Hope

Date walked: 27/06/2014

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 935m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

At least from Forfar it is................alarm was set for 3.30am and I was on the road for 4.15am.

At 5 in the morning the A9 was more or less empty except for a few trucks so I had a trial run ahead of the average speed cameras being switched on in a few months time - quite hard going on a clear road.

I climbed Ben Klibreck last year and assumed it would just be another 10 minutes along the road, forgot how slow it can be to cover the miles on these roads. The Hope road is slightly different with grass growing down the middle of it, maybe the council could throw in some wild flower seeds to brighten things up.

Arrived at the car park and was ready to start for 8.45am. There was one car already parked up and another arrived just as I was setting off.

I had read on WH that this was basically a short but fairly steep climb and that more or less sums it up. On a good day with a well defined track to follow there are no navigation issues to be concerned about.

The other thing I had read about this hill were the excellent views and I had intentionally left it for a good day to hopefully see it at it's best.

1.jpg
View from the car park

2.jpg
Looking down Strath More

The initial climb is next to the burn and in wet weather this could probably be a bit boggy but after the recent dry period there were no such problems.

3.jpg
The climb ahead

4.jpg
Looking down Strath More again

After the steep start the ground levels off and the track meanders round and then rises above a ridge line with great views down Strath More. With the legs refreshed it was on to the next climb.

5.jpg

As I hadn't bothered to check the map or my notes I thought I was on the final climb so it was a surprise on reaching what I thought was the top to see this.

13.jpg
The final climb

This was basically the third steep section of the hill but probably the easiest one as well and it wasn't long before the trig point was in view.

6.jpg
Trig point

On the climb up and while on the summit the views were a bit hazy and this was my 1st Munro with decent sea views so I hung around for a bit and took it all in. One chap had camped overnight about 100 yards from the summit and I wondered if he had a good sunrise to watch.

8.jpg
Ben Loyal

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

After leaving the summit I headed over to the eastern side of the plateau to have a look at the views and they were stunning with the haze starting to clear. It takes a lot to encourage me to sit down and take in the views but this was just a special place so I took the ruck sack off and sat on a rock and pressed the pause button.

12.jpg
Dubh Loch na Beinne and Loch Hope

The walk back down the hill took more or less the same time as the climb up. This was because a) it was steep with a lot of loose rocks and b) the haze had cleared and the camera was out. I also met a couple of guys from Cumbria who were up on holiday for a couple of days and chatted with them for ten minutes before meeting a couple and chatting to them as well.

So after a leisurely wander down the hill I had been out for three and a half hours with just over half an hour spent staring in to space or just generally chatting to people.

I did this as a straight up and down and if you pick the right day the effort is well worth it for the views (also well worth the drive up).

A few photos on the way down............

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg
Ben Hope from Loch Hope

The drive back down the A9 wasn't as enjoyable as the journey north. I followed 21 foreign bikers from the Kessock bridge to Aviemore before they branched off then took my place in a line of traffic following a couple of trucks. Within 10 miles of home I hit a pothole and smashed a rear shock absorber so rather than being on top of Carn an Righ today I'm doing this report then heading in to the garden. Hopefully I will get the car back tonight and be able to head up to Glenshee tomorrow.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Ben Hope - It's a Long Way Away

Postby AnnieMacD » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:46 pm

Lovely photos of what sounds like a great hill. Too bad about the car on the way home. I'm full of admiration that you would drive both ways in one day!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:37 pm

AnnieMacD wrote:Lovely photos of what sounds like a great hill. Too bad about the car on the way home. I'm full of admiration that you would drive both ways in one day!

Hi Annie

Looks like I need to go back to the same area soon. To the west I could see some really impressive looking hills and on checking my maps today looks like it was probably Foinaven I was looking at.

Apart from a quick up and down Klibreck last August it's years since I've been in this part of the world so it was good fun just to go for a little wander in the car after climbing Ben Hope.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Shug » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:48 pm

Looks like yoiu got a cracking day for it.
Those photos have really wheted my appetite for my week long walkabout I have planned up there 8)
Shug

Munros:10   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:19 pm

Shug wrote:Looks like yoiu got a cracking day for it.
Those photos have really wheted my appetite for my week long walkabout I have planned up there 8)

Hi Shug

Thanks for letting me know about your plans just as I prepare to go back to work after my holidays :( :( :(

Hope you get the weather - you should love it.

Just as well the boss wasn't in the car with me as my head was on a swivel stick looking at all the hills.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:48 pm

Nice one Gordie, and what a day you had, worth the long drive! Pity about the car damage, Angus Roads!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:43 pm

Nice one Gordie, brings back happy memories, they are unique views :clap: :clap:

Shame about the car, rather than put speed bumps everywhere they should use the tarmac to fill the holes :lol: :lol:
Garages must be rubbing there hands, replacing springs & shockers :(
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:43 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Nice one Gordie, and what a day you had, worth the long drive! Pity about the car damage, Angus Roads!

Hi Rod - frustrating to go all that way and hit a pot hole when nearly home but definitely didn't spoil the day.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:49 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Nice one Gordie, brings back happy memories, they are unique views :clap: :clap:

Shame about the car, rather than put speed bumps everywhere they should use the tarmac to fill the holes :lol: :lol:
Garages must be rubbing there hands, replacing springs & shockers :(

Hi Fife Flyer

As I think I said in the report this was really my 1st hill with sea views but now I'm searching for more - loved it.

As for the car, I was the 3rd person in the last week to go in to my local garage with pot hole damage and frustratingly it's on a short cut I use where 3 months ago I hit another pot holes (50 yards away) and did similar damage. If I can be bothered I might take some photos next time I'm on the road and put a claim in to the council.

Enjoy the Ossians tomorrow!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby simon-b » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:41 pm

A beautiful area with some excellent views, Gordie. I hope the car's OK now.

As was discussed on Doggy's thread on the General board, Ben Hope's a long way from home, but not from the car park!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:50 pm

Hi Simon

50p change from £100.

As you say, a long way from home but not from the car park (the drive up there took longer than the walk).

Lovely area, really must go back there soon.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:50 am

Hi Gordie, and nice to see Hope Mountain. It's been quite a while since my visit on the summit, well, it hasn't changed that much :lol:

This hill seems to be far away from everywhere, even for us it was a 2 hrs drive and if you are unlucky enough to get stuck behind something slow... :roll: :roll:

Did you stop by the broch just across the road from Ben Hope? It's one of the best preserved mainland brochs, but so far it hasn't been excavated (the interior is filled with rubble). I wonder what treasures can be hidden inside?...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby old danensian » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:04 pm

Oh, I admire the determination of someone who can drive all that way for under four hours on the hill.

My rule now is "longer on the hill than in the car." So I'm at the stage where more of my trips are multi-day ones - and this falls squarely into that category.

However, you're right - there's nothing wrong with simply staring into space - and what a superb place to do it.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:46 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Hi Gordie, and nice to see Hope Mountain. It's been quite a while since my visit on the summit, well, it hasn't changed that much :lol:

This hill seems to be far away from everywhere, even for us it was a 2 hrs drive and if you are unlucky enough to get stuck behind something slow... :roll: :roll:

Did you stop by the broch just across the road from Ben Hope? It's one of the best preserved mainland brochs, but so far it hasn't been excavated (the interior is filled with rubble). I wonder what treasures can be hidden inside?...

Hi BP - nope, I missed the broch, I was also south of Inverness when I realised I should have gone back to Sandwood Bay when I was so close :( :( :(
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:50 pm

old danensian wrote:Oh, I admire the determination of someone who can drive all that way for under four hours on the hill.

My rule now is "longer on the hill than in the car." So I'm at the stage where more of my trips are multi-day ones - and this falls squarely into that category.

However, you're right - there's nothing wrong with simply staring into space - and what a superb place to do it.

OD

Hi OD

I like that rule - I need to work on it though.

I tend to stare in to space a lot in work but when walking I really need to stop and take in the views more than I do - silly really, probably never be in some of these places ever again yet I give a lot of them 5 minutes and I'm off.
Gordie12
Wanderer

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland