walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Harris - An Cliseam

Harris - An Cliseam

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:58 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Clisham

Date walked: 23/06/2014

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 800m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Rose at 4am in the Uig Hostel to get ready to catch the 5.30am ferry from Uig to Tarbert in Harris.

20140623_180246R.jpg

Nice fry-up breakfast on the ferry, even though my stomach wasn't really ready for it !

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Ferry arrived in Tarbert at 7am, so jumped on my electric velocipede and headed up the A859 towards Clisham.
Arrived at the starting point for Clisham at 8am and after hiding my bike off the road just before Loch na Ciste, headed off up into the clag. This was a little disappointing on my first visit to Harris, but none-the-less the ascent was broken by a couple of pairs of Golden plovers, which tried the "follow me" routine. It was prety much straight up and where the SE ridge sharpened, I came across the track which presumably came from the Mharaig bridge start.
The summit trig point was completely surrounded by a shelter wall with no entrance gap.

20140623_100106R.jpg

Having climbed over the top of the wall, I was amazed to see these delicate white bell flowers growing, probably because of the wall protection, as usually most flowers on summits are no more than a centimetre high !

20140623_100024R.jpg

With no views to be had, I headed off down, only to do the splits a short way from the top. With my right leg left behind, there were some funny creaks came from my knee. Not the sort of antics of a pensioner should perform !
However I still seemed to be able to walk, as the bit I'd rax'd didn't seem to be needed for normal walking, although it was sore to touch, so I headed gingerly down, hoping to "walk it off".
Apart from the Golden plovers again, I stopped below the clag level, which had risen a little to take a couple of photos.

20140623_111044.jpg

An easy bike down the hill saw me at the ferry terminal at 12 noon and a long wait for the next ferry.

20140623_133120R.jpg

A hot shower and some ice on my knee seemed to keep the swelling down. Also the next day was a drive down to Armadale to catch the ferry to Mallaig ! Rum next.
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:91
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland