walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

7 Fannichs by bike

7 Fannichs by bike

Postby gman » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:45 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Coileachan, Beinn Liath Mhòr Fannaich, Meall a' Chrasgaidh, Meall Gorm, Sgùrr Mòr, Sgùrr nan Clach Geala, Sgùrr nan Each

Date walked: 10/07/2014

Time taken: 10.45 hours

Distance: 49 km

Ascent: 2599m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

fannichs 7 actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Couple of reports here showed this route, so thought I'd give it a go. It's about 10k by bike on a good tarmac road, took 45 mins out and 33 mins back. The walk is 2280m of ascent, 29km and took 9:15. Plan A was to cycle to the start of the walk at night, set up the tent and make an early start...but I didn't factor in the midges.

Nice road.

An Eigin

Past the dam and along Loch Fannich looking for a place to camp.

Found a flatish bit of ground but there was long grass, heather and wasn't much of a breeze so it wasn't a surprise when a couple of midges had a bite. This signalled every midge in the area to attack, had the net on my head but they found a way through every gap in clothing. Quite a few got inside the tent and I could see thousands outside, so I packed everything back up and flew back down the road to the car through a constant cloud of the little gits.

Woke up at 5 and cycled back up to the bridge over the burn, ditched the bike and started up the hill.

Ground is a bit tussocky, Fannich Lodge in the trees below:

On An Coileachan looking towards An Eigin.

Next, Meall Gorm:

Shelter:

2 down, the next 2 are Sgurr Mor ahead and Beinn Liath Mhor Fannaich on its right:

Boggier route in:

Sgurr Mor, there's a stalkers path that bypasses the top just above the snow patch.

On the path:

Back to An Coileachan:

Beinn Liath Mhor Fannaich, path goes round to the left of the top.

Then up across a rocky patch.

Cairn & the next 2 Munros: Sgur Mor (the biggie) and Meall a'Chrasgaidh is the second hill to its right.

Beinn Dearg:

Loch Broom, An Teallach:

Anothe wee shelter on the way to Sgurr Mor:

Beinn Liath Mhor Fannaich looking small from the top of Sgurr Mor:

Last 2 of the day, Sgurr nan Clach Geala (another big one) with Sgurr nan Each on the left:

Rocky descent from Sgurr Mor with Meall a'Chrasgaidh behind Carn na Criche:

The rocky descent:

The return route, Sgurr nan Clach Geala and Sgurr nan Each:

But first, an easy ascent of Meall a'Chrasgaidh:

An Teallach from the top:

Then a lot of ascent to Sgurr nan Clach Geala.

Nice ridge.

Back to Meall a'Chrasgaidh:

The other 2 Fannichs:

Last Munro, Sgurr nan Each:

Sgurr nan Clach Geala from Sgurr nan Each, Sgull Mor on the right:

Torridon:

Continuing along the ridge, Sgurr a Chadha Dheirg:

Then down to the lochside track, the peat hags had baked in the sun and were OK to walk on so I went to the left of Torran Ruadh, otherwise it would be easier to go to the right where the trees are and join the track earlier. And I went straight down the ridge from here, it gets pretty steep so a better option would be to head west for an easier gradient.

Changed into comfy dry socks on Sgurr nan Each and was almost at the track when I hit some marshy grass so it was a squelchy return to the bike :lol:
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: 7 Fannichs by bike

Postby Mountainlove » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:32 pm

Thats a great effort. Lovely seeing pictures of the hills again - the snow is melting fast now!! Great pictures too!! :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby weaselmaster » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:39 pm

Good one - that was what we'd tried to do back in Feb til the weather beat us back after Sgurr Mhor
Certainly faster biking it back along that track than walking it with a full pack on :lol:
Pretty sure it's the best way to do these hills from

Al
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:23 pm

I really enjoyed this - lots of great pix, and one gets a really good idea of the terrain.

I'm planning to do these if I can find some time this year, but I'd never thought of doing it this way. My current plan is to park up at Loch Droma, cycle to the 90 degree bend in the A82 near Loch A'Bhrahoin, and start there. The idea is that this way I can include A'Chailleach and Sgurr Breach, and the additional distance and ascent don't seem to too much (when you live as far south of the border as I, once you're there you have to pack in as much as you can!).

The midge story is quite depressing - I really want to camp but.....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby mrssanta » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:45 pm

that was good, we were there two days earlier, report to follow, I am just about recovered!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Butterscotch » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:12 pm

I'm wondering if this route is possible for an auld woman? :lol: I fancy bagging these 7 in one go and using the bike is a bonus
Butterscotch

Munros:259   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:6
Walk wish-list

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland