walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn na Caillich

Beinn na Caillich

Postby headless spectre » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:35 am

Route description: Beinn na Caillich and the Broadford Red Hills

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Dearg Mhór (Broadford), Beinn na Caillich (Broadford)

Date walked: 21/04/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 8 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous day I had walked too far so a simple 8k stroll looked fine. I struggled up to the summit and was pleased that the hill tops now got lower and the beallacks higher. Good views slowed me down to a snails crawl.
An excellent walk but I would advise that it is only walked this way around. The initial climb up is over some large,angular boulders, (easier up than down) and the steep slope down to Bealach Coire Sgreamhach should only be desended, ( to attempt to ascend would be foolish,) its is steep loose shingle mixed with larger rocks which sometime slide and sometimes stick, absolute purgatory.
The walk seemed a very long 8 k's. Normally I bash out 8 k in the local park in an hour and a half,
Attachments
Beinn na Caillich.JPG
scotland april-10 (94).JPG
view from summit2.JPG
view from summit.JPG
Looking back to the main peak from Beinn Dearg Mhor.JPG
Blaven and the cullins.JPG
Steep descent to  Bealach Coire Sgreamhach.JPG
Beinn Dearg Mhor and  Beinn Dearg Bheag.JPG
skye bridge.JPG
headless spectre
Hill Bagger

Munros:12   Corbetts:1
Fionas:4   

Re: Beinn na Caillich

Postby DonnyW » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:39 pm

Yup..she is a steep old woman..no matter what way you go Headless .. just dont look for the princess buried under the summit cairn..you might find more than you thought you would :lol:
DonnyW

Postby mountain coward » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:25 am

All looks steep and very scary - I hate loose scree at those kind of angles - I'd defo rather go up it than down though - at least you don't feel like you're going to slip and somersault down to your death (the things that go through the minds of mountain cowards! :lol: ). Thanks for the pics though - at least I know what to expect now if I ever do decide to try that hill...
mountain coward

Postby headless spectre » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:55 pm

Doing some internet research into the site of Donny,s vegetarian time capsule I discovered the princess was called Saucy Mary, married to Findanus, they lived in Castle Moin at Kyleakin and put a chain across the Loch, charging a toll to enter.
When she died she was buried so she was facing Norway/ the wind blew direct from Norway. Underneath her body was a casket of gold and jewels.
( All true so far,although Saucy Mary takes a huge leap in interweb faith as does Findanus).
Considering that Castle Moin has never been excavated, the cairn on Beinn na Caillich will similarly never have been excavated and the casket will still be there, along with Donny's time capsule.
I am not going back to look, the hills too steep and I might find the wrong treasure
Attachments
Saucy Mary's cairn.JPG
headless spectre
Hill Bagger

Munros:12   Corbetts:1
Fionas:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland