walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairngorms Wild Camp, With Reindeer for Company.

Cairngorms Wild Camp, With Reindeer for Company.

Postby Border Reiver » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:02 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 09/07/2014

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1300m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My wife had been asking me for some time now to camp out in the mountains & she wanted to add another Munro to her newly started list. Our first plan of camping near the Moine Mhor and climbing the Munros surrounding the Gharbh Coire, was stopped because of a forecast of heavy thunderstorms, so we decided to wait a day and re-visit Cairngorm and camp near the Feithe Bhuidhe.
Cairngorm was my first Munro, climbed from Glenmore campsite when I was about 7 or 8 in the early 1960’s and although I’ve climbed it many times since then, it had been nearly 20 years since my last ascent.
It was a decent day, with clouds gradually dispersing and a cool, stiff breeze as we started off in the afternoon from the ski ground car park after leaving a route note & to let them know the car would be there overnight. We decided to use the renamed “Windy Ridge” path that climbs East from the funicular station. The correct name of An t-Aonach just translates as “the ridge” I believe.

Cairngorm car park from the Windy Ridge path
Loch Morlich from path

Carrying a tent, cooking equipment, food, clothing and plenty of water etc. ensured that we were overtaken by almost everyone else, including groups of small children, but we were in no hurry and took the time to take in the views and sit and chat over a drink and food.

Cairn Lochain with snow patches

The constructed footpath had sections of steps that I’m certain must have been quite an obstacle to some of the smaller kids. One little girl looked about 3 years old and she clambered her way up the steps with her parents until they too disappeared from view. We met a fair few people coming down the path, some running.
There were quite a lot of walkers milling around the top funicular station, with only a few actually heading up the very rough stone path to the summit.

The path to the summit of Cairn Gorm

We met some of the walkers that had passed us on the way up, including the couple with the wee girl, who was now being carried by Dad and was fast asleep. There were only four other walkers at the top of Cairngorm, quite a change from the hundreds that used to make it in the days when they could exit the chairlift and climb the last few hundred feet. The distant views weren’t brilliantly clear, but across to Braeriach, Ben MacDhui and Beinn Mheadhoin were superb.

View west from near Cairn Gorm summit

Derry Cairngorm and Loch Etchacan

I have to say that it was reassuring to see the paths up Cairngorm so litter-free compared to the past. Maybe this shows that genuine walkers who are prepared to put in the effort are less likely to drop litter.
We chose not to use the stepped path down from Cairngorm to the head of Coire Raibert, because the steps were all covered in a layer of grit, a sure way of having an unwanted slide when going downhill. I noticed that the top part of the “Goat Track” was still covered in snow and there were large snow beds above the head of Loch Avon and at the top of Coire Dhomain.
Coire an t-Sneachda, with snow patch over top of Goat Track

Beinn Mheadhoin from head of Coire Raibert

Snow bank at the head of Coire Dhomain

The clouds came and went all day, with some very black ones passing without rain falling.
At the top of the rise to the West of Coire Dhomain we saw a couple of parties of climbers head along the skyline, presumably after spending the day on Hells Lum Crag.

Distant view of Beinn Avon

When we reached that point we headed downhill towards the Feithe Bhuidhe, where we found an excellent flat area of nice soft grass to pitch the tent on, although in the Cairngorms you are spoilt for choice when wild camping.

Perfect camping spot.

We put up the tent and had a wander across to where the Feithe Bhuidhe tumbles dramatically from the plateau, towards Loch Avon, then cooked a meal.

Loch Avon & Beinn Mheadhoin

Shortly after, at around 7.00pm, we spotted a few reindeer coming down towards the burn. They crossed and were followed, a few at a time by over 20 more, showing little interest in us or our tent other than a quick glance. The reindeer headed off up the side of a snow patch, in the direction of the Garbh Uisge Beag, although 4 of them returned within an hour and settled down on the hillside above the tent.

Cairngorm Reindeer Herd

We took plastic bags with us and went to have some sledging fun on the largest snow patch. It was hard and bumpy, but great fun, although the run-out was into a boulder field.
Back at the tent I found that I’d dropped my camera & it took us another hour or more to locate it, half hidden under a small rock about half way between the tent and the snow patch.
At about 9.30pm, I noticed a figure appear from the direction of Hells Lum & after standing a while he started to walk towards us. He then crossed the burn and walked up the opposite bank. Giving a wave as he passed by.
Because we had to meet someone in Edinburgh, I set my alarm for 5.00am. I got up and dressed and just as I stood up outside, the sun hit the tent and lit up the area with a yellow/orange glow.

View East above Loch Avon at sunrise

Beinn Mheadhoin at Sunrise

The tent was wet with dew, but we packed up, crossed the burn and set off towards Lochan Bhuidhe on short cropped grass and heath – brilliant for walking on. Another huge snow bank filled the hollow to the East of the Lochan. I’ve often seen snow there in August.

Easy walking at 6.00am

Snow bank near Lochan Bhuidhe

The Lochan Bhuidhe and the headwaters of the March Burn shone blue in the clear warm air and the mountains across the Lairig Ghru were sharp and clear.

Lochan Bhuidhe

March Burn, Cairn Toul and Sgor an Lochain Uaine

We reached the Ben MacDhui path and followed it North, high above the Lairig Ghru, then cut across to have a look into Coire an Lochain. A large snow bank lined the West wall of the coire.

Lairig Ghru

Coming down the ridge towards the burn that rises in Coire an Lochain, the view across to Loch Morlich was superb, with Morlich like a mirror it was so calm.

Glen More and Loch Morlich

Cairn Lochain

At this stage and all the way back to the car park, there was no wind and even though it was so early, it was rapidly becoming very hot and we were glad to get back to the car to cool off as we drove away.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Re: Cairngorms Wild Camp, With Reindeer for Company.

Postby mrssanta » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:45 pm

oh that did look lovely
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:38 pm

Simplt stunning pics BR, some big snow still about eh. Made my mind up, gotta do the Knoydart group via camp at Barrisdale Bay. If I get weather like this I'll be one happy chappy, thanks for posting. :D :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Border Reiver » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:05 pm

spiderwebb wrote:Simplt stunning pics BR, some big snow still about eh. Made my mind up, gotta do the Knoydart group via camp at Barrisdale Bay. If I get weather like this I'll be one happy chappy, thanks for posting. :D :D

Best of luck with the weather. It nearly always frustrates us walkers in giving us what we least expect.
Fortunately, we are both retired and can choose when we go walking, so our chances of decent weather have vastly improved, plus we can extend our break if need be.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:19 pm

I get a pension does that make me retired :lol: Seriously though, has made me think, once I get the new place sorted (funds needed currently hence working) then I think I shall have to take it easy too, apart from lots of days like these, or like ones gone by :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:58 pm

Looked like a great trip. The reindeer don't look too happy though - kind of hang-dog appearance!

Wish I had the nerve (and strength) to do an overnight camp - I'd probably have the kitchen sink with me :lol: When the weather is great it must be one of the best experiences.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Border Reiver » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:02 pm

AnnieMacD wrote:Looked like a great trip. The reindeer don't look too happy though - kind of hang-dog appearance!

Wish I had the nerve (and strength) to do an overnight camp - I'd probably have the kitchen sink with me :lol: When the weather is great it must be one of the best experiences.

It is a great experience to wake up in the mountains at sunrise, with a cloudless sky and no-one else around. Having the rest of the day to explore would have been good, but we had to meet with friends.
This being my wife's first wild camp, she did take a bit too much, but I allowed for that by keeping the walk short. She's already made a list of changes to equipment carried for the next one....that's what I wanted to hear...there WILL be a next one.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:18 pm

Beautiful trip - there's something very special about waking up in such stunning surroundings. Glad to see you put the snow to good use :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby kevsbald » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:36 pm

Camping in the 'gorms with the reindeer is a magical experience.
Thanks for posting.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland