walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

LINN OF DEE CAIRNGORM BOTHY WALK

LINN OF DEE CAIRNGORM BOTHY WALK

Postby macdonald_ewan1983 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:35 am

Hey! I am planning a mammoth day next Wednesday weather permitting, a round of Carn A'mhaim, Macdui, Mheadoin, Cairngorm then over to the four from Braeriach down to Devils Point and out. I seem to remember from being up Derry once that there was a place you could sleep in a wee bothy near derry lodge, does anyone know if that is still open? Would help an nearly start. And would be a good point to leave mat etc.
Also if anyone has done this route before and has any advice that'd be swell.
Many thanks for any potential help!
:D
Ewan.
macdonald_ewan1983
Munro compleatist

Munros:139   Corbetts:22
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:5   

Re: LINN OF DEE CAIRNGORM BOTHY WALK

Postby cmarcol » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:08 pm

Bob Scott's! Still open and in good keeping. Warning though. When I was there in may there were people in it absolutely high on god knows what having some sort of romantic weekend!
cmarcol
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:22
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi, As cmarcol said, Bob Scott's is open and in good order. I was up there at the weekend and will be staying there again tonight - and there's very seldom any problem with the people you find there.
Your route sounds okay, but I'm not sure about including Beinn Mheadhoin, which gives you a substantial detour and involves retracing your steps back to McDui or dropping right down to Loch Avon and climbing again to reach Cairngorm.
To be honest, I did the five four thousanders a few weeks ago and found that quite a big enough day on its own without adding in Carn a Mhaim and Beinn Mheadhoin - maybe I'm just old and unfit, but I think including them would make the difference between a good day out and just a feat of endurance.
One option you could consider is walking in to Corrour Bothy the day before and setting off and finishing from there, which will cut your walk-in and walk-out at the start and end of the day.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby cmarcol » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:53 pm

Cairngormwanderer wrote:I was up there at the weekend and will be staying there again tonight - and there's very seldom any problem with the people you find there.

Must have been the bank holiday weekend that attracted them! :shock: They came complete with a suitcase on wheels! It's an awful long way to drag one of those! :lol:
cmarcol
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:22
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:40 pm

There was actually a bunch of bams up at the bothy a few weeks back, who left a lot of rubbish and mess, and did some damage (now repaired) but people like this are thankfully few and far between. The vast majority - even those who leave rubbish - treat the bothy and fellow users with a reasonable amount of respect and visitors can expect to receive help rather than hindrance when they go there.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby macdonald_ewan1983 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:04 pm

Much appreciated guys! I will try the eight if good weather report and let you know how I do! :clap:
macdonald_ewan1983
Munro compleatist

Munros:139   Corbetts:22
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:5   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion