walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

7th Munro - 1st conquered on my own!

7th Munro - 1st conquered on my own!

Postby smeggles7 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:27 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich via Loch Sloy

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 07/06/2014

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 945m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So Ben Vorlich was my chosen munro to conquer all on my own! After having researched the hill and the route from Inveruglas I was really excited, but nervous, to bag this one on my own :D Taking extra care with supplies, waterproof maps (not chancing it after the Narnain incident), and waterproof case for my phone, I packed my bag the night before and decided to get an early night so I could set off early the next morning and miss the rain that was forecast for the afternoon.

The next morning it was overcast but very warm!! I knew I'd be in for a tough day with the heat :shock: I made good time up to Inveruglas car park as the roads were quiet except for a few buses... which I managed to zoom by :D I was now so excited that I didn't waste anytime getting ready at the car park. I noticed a couple of groups that were there getting ready too and were going to be heading the same way, so I tried to get going before they did as I wanted to have the experience of being out on my own as much as possilbe (I know... how anti-social of me!? :lol: )

Image[/url]IMG_4803

As I made my way up the track, Vorlich came into sight and I was disappointed to see that the clouds were lying low as I was hoping for nice, clear views at the top!

ImageIMG_4809

I was constantly checking my gps to see where I'd turn off the track as I had been told the cairn is easy to miss, and I really couldn't live it down if I got myself lost again!! :lol: I was loving my surroundings!! I loved the rockiness of the hills I was surrounded by and the contrast of Loch Sloy Dam. The only thing that let it down was the MAHOOSIVE pylons that were dotted about the area - but I suppose that can't always be helped.

ImageIMG_4810

ImageIMG_4812 by meganccoombes

ImageIMG_4814 by meganccoombes

I was so thankful that the rain stayed away for the whole day! The only thing I really struggle with (aside from my gammy knee) was the heat and the midgies!! :shock: I stupidly forgot to put on smidge or skin so soft before heading out. I turn out in horrible red lumps that are itchy as hell when attacked by midgies so I had to put my fleece on. This was not fun in the heat! :(

Aside from this, I was having a ball! The further I climbed, the more often I stopped to turn around and admire the views of Loch Lomond. Scotland is truly beautiful!

ImageIMG_4819 by meganccoombes

The cloud began to lift slightly by the time I got to the top. I was so proud of myself for doing this all by myself! So proud I practically skipped along to the summit to place my rock that I selectively picked up on the way :D Here I met a lovely chap who was out on his own too. We chatted about the hills and I asked if he was on here. If you are reading, I was going to look you up but I have forgotten your name. Memory like a gold fish... Sorry!! :( I then went to find a nice wee seat to sit and have a bite to eat and soak up the views...

ImageIMG_4828 by meganccoombes

ImageIMG_4824 by meganccoombes

ImageIMG_4823 by meganccoombes

I didn't hang around for too long as I didn't want to be caught in the rain which was forecast for the afternoon, so I set off back down, poles out to help my knee and to batter any sheep that tried to fight me haha! :lol: Looking on to Ben Vane, all I can remember thinking is, "that looks like a tough wee bugger!". Knowing it is the joint smallest munro, it definitely didn't look a jolly!

Making it down safely and unharmed by the wooly residents on the hill, I practically ran back to Inveruglas car park full of adrenaline that I had just completed my first solo munro and feeling like a proper wee adventurer.

Great day! :D
smeggles7
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Re: 7th Munro - 1st conquered on my own!

Postby SuperMillie » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:23 pm

Awesome!!

Sounds like you had a great time and looks like you had a great day.....well done!
SuperMillie
Munro compleatist

Munros:108   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:12

Postby smeggles7 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:44 pm

Thank you!

It was great and can'y wait to get back out there exploring on my own! :D
smeggles7
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:09 pm

well done ! the first solo trip can be a bit of a worry - makes preparation all the more important
nothing stopping you now - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby cmarcol » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:17 pm

Nothing more satisfying than climbing a big hill successfully on your own. I put so much more planning into solo trips and feel like I've achieved so much more when I make it back in one piece. Well done - looks like you had a good day :)

C
cmarcol
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:22
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Steve B » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:24 pm

Good effort. :clap:
The feeling of achieving a day(s) on the hills alone with all the planning and decision making make for a rewarding experience. I do most of them solo these days, although that maybe says more about me :crazy:
Keep up the good work.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:10 pm

Well done you :clap: - that looked great - although I do most of my walks with company (well 1 other usually) I remember my first solo - never stopped checking the map :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby ceegee » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:38 pm

Well done :clap: Because of work commitments nearly all my walks have been solo, I found the sense of adventure and responsibility increased my enjoyment - especially in winter.
ceegee

Munros:14   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Fudgie » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:55 pm

I think Ben Vorlich might have been my first solo hill as well. There's nothing wrong with wanting to get out there yourself and I would guess half my munros have been done that way.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby AnnieMacD » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:55 pm

Great, another solo walker. I do all my walks solo and wouldn't have it any other way. Now that you have had a taste of it I'm sure there will be many more to come. Great report too!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:07 pm

Nice one :clap: :clap:
I always used to walk alone, however I personally prefer company, numerous reasons but safety in numbers is probably the main one :wink: I think out of all my walks this year only one has been solo :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:19 am

I completed my first on my own last month too, it is a great feeling just to be out enjoying the quiet of the outdoors on your own.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby marc.duff@gmail.com » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:08 pm

Up here on holiday with my family and was undecided about which Munro to tackle with them. Your report persuaded me to walk Ben a Vorlich. Nice report. Marc
marc.duff@gmail.com
Munro compleatist

Munros:5   
Hewitts:6

Postby 2manyYorkies » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:16 pm

Ah, the joy of solo... not much choice for me I'm afraid due to time pressures and travelling from Yorkshire, but I've always enjoyed walking solo - you go at the right pace, stop at the right points, and have only yourself to shout at when things go adrift. Mind you, I did feel VERY solo in Fisherfield, did occasionally get to wondering what would happen if I fell and broke something there, but that's all part of the fun I suppose.
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Postby smeggles7 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:38 pm

Thank you so much guys! Looking forward to my next solo mission :)
smeggles7
Mountain Walker

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland