walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Wheelchair / mobility scooter

Wheelchair / mobility scooter

Postby MULLOYS » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:37 pm

Hi guys :)

My parents live in Aviemore. They used to be such keen walkers and went all over camping and exploring etc.

7 years ago my dad had a major stroke leaving him unable to walk / talk etc.

So since then they have gone to the coast and watched the sea from the car or to local lochs etc. I've taken him up on the funicular when I've visited.

I'm visiting them next week and I'm desperate to take my dad somewhere he can actually 'go for a walk'. Can anyone recommend anywhere with wheelchair suitable paths, they don't need to concrete or totally smooth but just not rough paths so he can actually see some of the world again :) Like pushchair suitable paths .......

Any recommendations please please please and thank you in advance :)

Susie x
MULLOYS

Re: Wheelchair / mobility scooter

Postby IamAJMiller » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:13 am

This story about Schiehallion being wheelchair accessible was doing the rounds a few years ago:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/artic ... ntain.html

I would take it with a pinch of salt though as it can get quite steep after the shieling as discussed here:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26435

Not a definite answer to your question, sorry.
IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:31
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:78   

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:21 am

I take it he's been round Loch Morlich? That should all be wheelchair accessible, as are a lot of the paths around Rothiemurchus.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:23 pm

There's a couple of all abilities trails at Creag Meagaidh - http://www.nnr-scotland.org.uk/creag-meagaidh/visiting/trails/
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby RiverSong » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:15 pm

Some good suggestions already given, another one is the walk to the Green Loch from Glenmore visitor centre, it's about two miles on a very good level track. The walk is marked with blue marker posts, you cant go wrong. It takes you through beautiful pine woods and gives great views of Meall a Buchaille and, to a lesser extent, the Cairngorms.

I've never done the full circuit of Loch Morlich so cant comment, but the circuit of Loch an Eilean I think is wheelchair friendly with one fairly steep but short-lived section.

There is also an all-abilities trail on the lower slopes of Cairn Gorm itself, and from there you can visit the mountain garden.

There are good quality tracks throughout Rothiemurchus Estate, mainly for cycling but they are made from tarmacadam and wheel-chair friendly.

Good luck!
RiverSong
Walker

Postby Border Reiver » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:16 pm

We checked out Loch Morlich circuit last year as a possibility for my Dad's wheelchair & it was a no go. Far too rough along West end and South side. There is a wheelchair accessible trail that runs through the campsite and follows the burn side up to the road bridge. My dad loved it, but it's not a long trail.
We tried Loch an Eilean too & only managed to get the wheelchair as far as the cottage on the West side. The estates do allow people with disabled badges to take their car right to the loch side though. Speak to the car park attendant, he's very obliging.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby basscadet » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:05 pm

I know from when my mum was in a wheelchair, that there are different grades of wheelchair accessability.. Some paths are a bit rumpy pumpy, but with a self propelled wheelchair and minimum help, she could manage along fine. For steep or stepped sections, by dad and I would just take a side each and lift it over/up the obstacle. We could only carry her like this for 50 yards or so, but it made a lot of walks feasable, that werent strictly wheelchair friendly.. It is fin and a great team building activity to take a disabled person to places that they couldn't get anyways :D
depends on the size and tolerance of the disabled person I suppose.
Quite a lot of the paths in the cairngorms would be do-able I would think, just the odd step/drainage ditch to negotiate
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Border Reiver » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:33 pm

If it's a wheelchair that needs pushing (like my Dad's), then it depends on whether the pusher can push it up inclines and hold it back when going down hills, as well as drag it through any softer areas like gravel or sand. It really isn't easy at all, even pushing a frail person up a short slope of tarmac. The other problem, that I didn't realise is that because my Dad's wheelchair has no suspension, even the slightest bumps and unevenness give him quite a shaking up & he can get very tired of it.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby OpenC » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:58 pm

I read that the path around Loch Muick was reasonably accessible, although I've never actually set foot on it myself.
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Munros:93   
Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:86
Wainwrights:132   

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:43 am

OpenC wrote:I read that the path around Loch Muick was reasonably accessible, although I've never actually set foot on it myself.

No way, it is far too rough for wheelchairs. A bit too rough for some able-bodied people.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby OpenC » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:06 am

Heh, fair enough :)

Report was on here..

http://www.walkswithwheelchairs.com/Aberdeenshire/895

..which might be a useful site for the OP although if it's just making things up re. how accessible places are, then it might not be so useful :)

** edit

Or maybe not, there's not a great deal on there for Scotland at all
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Munros:93   
Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:86
Wainwrights:132   

Postby basscadet » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:55 am

Caberfeidh wrote:
OpenC wrote:I read that the path around Loch Muick was reasonably accessible, although I've never actually set foot on it myself.

No way, it is far too rough for wheelchairs. A bit too rough for some able-bodied people.

You would get down to Glas Allt Shiel on the track though, and that is a right bonny wee spot :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Cooglar » Wed May 30, 2018 11:39 am

I’m a wheelchair user,quadriplegic with good arm function. I came across the article and this conversation a few years ago. Since then i’ve been planning an attempt at Sciehallion to see how accessible it is. Finally last week I was able to have a go. I used mountain bike tyres on my chair and had a front wheel adaption to use a pneumatic tyre on the front, turning the chair into a trike. Pushing my self unaided I managed to get to the sheep fank in less than an hour from the car park. I’m not saying it was easy, it was pretty hard in places, but i’ve done harder. In fact, I’d had a go at nearby Allean forestry walk a couple of days earlier and it was much more challenging. Anyway, after that I got assistance to get up the steps and around a couple of corners, but that’s as far as I got. Views were fantastic, well worth the effort and although maybe not fully wheelchair accessible, I’d say it was totally worth it and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys the outdoors and is up for a challenge!
Cooglar

Postby Nenara » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:37 pm

Powerchair is not the same as an electric wheelchair. It is larger, heavier, and the majority are not able to be dismantled, whereas electric wheelchairs can be. Also, kerb climbers really do not do what they say.

A scooter, especially a foldable one which will fit into the boot/trunk of a car or taxi, is a much better idea. Regarding kerbs, if you are able to actually stand, even for just a few minutes, small scooters can easily be lifted up and down from kerbs. And if you do not weigh too much, they can also be lifted up and down with you sitting on it - because there is usually someone around who will see you and help.

I have both a small scooter and an electric wheelchair, both of which serve different purposes - also a very large road scooter. But I would never buy what is known as a powerchair as it would not, could not, take the place of either my small scooter or my chair.

In addition, if you are out alone using a powerchair, you are far more likely to get The Stares from ABs, whereas on a scooter you are mostly left alone and not looked on as a freak.
Nenara

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion