walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Final prep for West Highland Way

Final prep for West Highland Way

Postby Danny1815 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:58 am

Good morning folks :)

After a few weeks of prep and months of training I've collected all my kit for doing the Way and wild camping on the route. I will be doing this completely solo. Friday night I will be heading to Milngavie campsite for my first night then start Saturday morning from Milngavie about 0700 and reaching the foot of Nevis Tuesday night in order to climb her first thing Wednesday morning. I'm just going to run through kit I'm taking and looking if I've missed anything out... Your input is appreciated

1 man tent
Sleeping bag and roll mat
5x 24 hr rations (military issue)
Small tin of coffee and flask
3 litre camelbak
Butane gas 3 and stove with small pot
5x socks
3x anti bac running shorts (tight fit)
2x outdoor trousers
1x pakka waterproof trousers
3x tshirts
1x waterproof jacket 10000mm
1x fleece lightweight
Small first aid kit
Bar of soap, baby wipes, toothbrush and paste
Compass and map
GPS garmin 301 (wrist type) just Incase
Head torch and spare batteries

A few questions I would like answered though

Is the walk manageable with walking shoes? Or are hiking boots the better option? Got both ready to go but never done this distance before

Is there places to fill my camelbak with clean water or is it all natural sources? Puritabs worth taking?

Is there walker friendly places along the route that would allow a quick phone charge? Don't want to miss the sites but I know the iphone won't last 5 days without a charge... It struggles to last 5 hours!

Your help and advice is much appreciated.

Thanks again
Danny1815
Munro compleatist

Munros:91   

Re: Final prep for West Highland Way

Postby Danny1815 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:33 am

Forgot to mention insect repellent, strongest variant going out of Mountain Warehouse.
Danny1815
Munro compleatist

Postby Border Reiver » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:33 am

You didn't mention Compeed (or similar). We took lots and used it all, some for ourselves and some to help other walkers who had massive blisters by half way up Loch Lomond side. To be honest, I wouldn't trust much of the natural water supply on that route, lots of sheep, goats, deer and cattle around for a lot of the way. Scotland's water high up the mountains is good, but not along the WHW. We carried water and fruit juice from our B&B's.
We used walking boots & needed them because it rained all week & puddles / mud were deep. As long as the weather is good, your best bet is to go with whatever will be kindest to your feet.
If you want to travel lighter, you could consider ditching navigation aids, It isn't possible to get lost on this walk. The signs are excellent and the path is unmissable.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby Danny1815 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:28 am

Thanks for the reply. Point taken on the compeed, my feet are usually good with weight and long distance but will pack some just Incase. The GPS is to record the route, and map is to aid in selecting my camping spots and any munros en route that I might have time for.

As for water, I'm a little stuck. I'm thinking of ditching the camelbak and just carrying a robust water bottle... Little less weight and easier to fill if it does to come using natural sources. Surely the B and B's won't mind me filling up as I pass... Water for cooking my meals are alright from streams, puritab and boiled should be ok for a brew as well
Danny1815
Munro compleatist

Postby Dan Scheer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:45 am

I think you could save some additional weight by taking less clothes. I would just take one pair of trousers, 2 sets of underwear and 2 t-shirts. with anti-bacterial material you can easily wear them for a few days before people start to keep their distance from you and they dry quick so you can give one set a quick wash along the way and attach it to the outside of your pack to dry. the less weight the easier it will be on your feet.
the path itself is pretty good and can easily be done in trail shoes, but as Border Reiver said it can get very wet and muddy in which case boots are better...

I would also only fill the camelbak with about 2 litres, with a 3l bag that means it will be a bit more flexible for storing and you will have plenty of opportunities to stock up on water along the way, lots of pubs. You could also cut down on food and restock along the way

have a good trip! :)
Dan Scheer
Mountaineer

Munros:36   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Islands:25

Postby abbruce » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:01 pm

You seem to have it pretty much sussed. Agree with the previous comments, there are pubs & shops along the way to stock up on water & supplies.

If you've not done this distance before, walking poles will help lighten the load. Also hat & gloves.

& don't forget your camera, the views are stunning.

Safe trip
abbruce
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:23
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:68   

Postby bydand_loon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:03 pm

Does this include what you’re wearing?

5x 24 hr rations (military issue) - 5 full ration packs weigh a ton??? break them down and get rid of the gash, open all the coffees/sugars/milks and pour them into wee freezer bags, Dump (or build a house with) all the puddings, take the outer wrappers off the meals etc

Small tin of coffee and flask - dump the tin, just use the freezer bags mentioned above, id dump the flask as well tbh, when you stop for a brew, take 5 mins to get the boots off and fire up the stove (you have enough gas

3 litre camelbak - id carry a wee bottle and an empty bivi bottle, but i can see why folks like the camelback

Butane gas 3 and stove with small pot - is that 3 canisters? 100g cans cost roughly £4.00 each and weigh 200g each, while a 230g can costs £5.00 and weighs 356g. So one larger (230g) can is £3 cheaper, 50g lighter and gives you and extra 30g of gas over carrying 2 100g canisters, can you tell im an Aberdonian yet.

5x socks - 1 pair on 2 in the bergan, dump the other two
3x anti bac running shorts (tight fit) - 1 pair on 2 in the bergan
2x outdoor trousers - 1 on, and a pair for the dancing in the Bergan i presume, nae need for any more
3x tshirts - 1 on 2 in the bergan? id dump one, wear one for walking and stuff, keep the other for dressing up

Trowel, Toilet Roll Alcohol Gel + Lighter :D
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby Danny1815 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:10 pm

Haha, classic. I've ditched the garbage from the rations already, took the main meals and tossed the puddings (if that's what they are). Use them all the time so know the set drill ;)

As for clothes, 2 of each. 1 of them I will be wearing, the other in the bag. Trousers, tshirts, boxers.

Also packed hat and gloves, 3 pairs of socks (1wearing). Decided to reduce the camelbak to 1litre and store it as a reserve just Incase. Managed to pick up 1 litre water bottle with a large lid so much easier to fill if times get tough.

The flask is 300ml model, not bulky at all. And the coffee has been put into a bag, just used yin as a reference of quantity (not sure why).

Cheers for the feedback folks, very excited now, let's just hope the weather isn't too bad.

Last thing about camping, any recommendations for east Loch Lomond? Don't fancy being some up on the first night and told to move!
Danny1815
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion