walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Scotland in a motorhome in 10 days (hike / walk suggestions)

Scotland in a motorhome in 10 days (hike / walk suggestions)

Postby destone » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:11 pm

Dear All,

My husband and I plus my 3 children (aged 14, 16 and 18) are off to Scotland in about two weeks' time in a motorhome for 10 days.

As you can see on the image below, we have looked at lots of places and we are now in the process of shortlisting and compiling our itinerary. The pin colours are meaningless for now, nothing is decided on except Loch Ness, Isle of Lewis (Callanish Stone Circle) and Iona.

This is our first time in Scotland and we would not like to miss out on the best hikes and walks that this beautiful country offers.

Any hike and walk recommendations would be welcome -- what are the top 10 'must-do' ones?

In terms of grades we are probably looking at anything between 1 and 3 (maybe 4) and the round trip should not take more than 5 - 6 hours.

Thank you so much.

Warmest regards,
Lora

destone

Re: Scotland in a motorhome in 10 days (hike / walk suggesti

Postby allanglens » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:14 pm

If you end up on Skye - and you should - have a look at the walk from Sligachan to Sgurr na Stri. A couple of recent walk reports will show you why. It is a bit longer than 6 hours ( well it was for me!) but well worth the extra time.
allanglens
Rambler

Munros:8   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Postby RiverSong » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:11 pm

Lots of great walks on this website, maybe choose which areas you would like to visit then select some walks in that area. Scotland is a beautiful country - enjoy!
RiverSong
Walker

Postby scoob999 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:14 pm

The Quirang on Skye is a must see in my opinion..... also from ullapool up to sutherland simply stunning scenery :D
A visit to Cape Wrath is also good :D

Hope you get good weather, enjoy your trip :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby tall-story » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:51 pm

Blimey, where do you start ?? :crazy: As scoob says North of ullapool is just superb if you get the weather, I`ve just came back from 3 fantastic days up there :D
tall-story
Walker

Munros:160   Corbetts:222
Fionas:43   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:20 am

You’ll be spoilt for choice! Ten days to fit in the highlights of Scotland?? :shock: Good luck with that! :lol:

Have to say, I think you might risk over-dosing on dramatic mountain landscapes!! You’ve omitted the SW and the NE of Scotland; two beautiful and obscenely under-rated areas. Ok, so they don’t have the dramatic landscapes of Torridon, Skye, the Cairngorms, etc. But they have a beauty and character all of their own. (I think you could easily omit Loch Lomond and the Trossachs and not miss much.) There are some fabulous towns and villages up and down the Aberdeenshire, Banff & Buchan and Moray coast. Likewise the SW too – areas like Whithorn, Wigtown, Kirkcudbright, for example. (Dumfries and Galloway is a relatively undiscovered gem.)

Having said that, I would definitely recommend the extreme NW: Durness, Tongue, Eriboll….there are some fantastic, secluded beaches there. In good weather, Ben Hope (the most northerly Munro) can be done in 5-6 hrs.

If you’re going to the Western Isles, check-out Bosta beach – a hidden undiscovered gem - one of my favourite places in Scotland.

Avoid North Lanarkshire. Infact, avoid the whole of Lanarkshire full stop.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:23 am

If you make it out to the Western Isles then Urgha to Rhenigidale is a must (but you probably can't do the Western Isles and the Far North on the same trip).

The Quairang on Skye

Coire Mhic Fhearchair (round the back of Beinn Eighe)

The Cobbler (plus Beinn Narnain)

Pap of Glencoe

Glen Nevis and Steall Waterfall (with or without some of the Mamores ridges)

Aonach Mor (via the gondola)

Enjoy!

BtB
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion