walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Lyon 4

Glen Lyon 4

Postby Broggy1 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:56 pm

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 26/07/2014

Time taken: 5.25 hours

Distance: 19.8 km

Ascent: 1310m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Following on from yesterday on the Ben Lui 4 we had enjoyed a decent night in Tyndrum and planned to head East to hopefully stay ahead of the bad weather spreading from the West throughout the day. Therefore the Glen Lyon 4 looked absolutely perfect.

We set off from Invervar and quickly picked up the marker posts into the forest. From here we somehow lost the main track and found ourselves scrambling over felled trees in the forest for a short while until we saw the proper track to our right over a decent sized fence.

Nothing else for it other than to to climb it and from here it was easy going up along the track and over the rickety bridge before following the path up the steep grassy slopes of Carn Gorm until we got to the summit cairn and further on the collapsed trig point.

Through forest.JPG
Track through the forest

Lost in forest.JPG
Off the beaten track in the forest!

Back on track.JPG
Back on track

Bridge and sign.JPG
Helpful sign and dodgy bridge

Climbing Carn Gorm.JPG
Climbing Carn Gorm

Glen Lyon.JPG
Glen Lyon from the ascent

Carn Gorm summit looking towards Trig.JPG
Carn Gorm summit looking towards Trig area

Fallen Trig.JPG
Fallen Trig Point on Carn Gorm

Lawers range.JPG
Lawers Range from Carn Gorm

Next objectives.JPG
Objectives ahead!

Most of the hard work was already done at this point and we could see the rest of the walk before us. The weather was much cooler than the day before with a stiff breeze but still nice clear conditions. Following the path we skirted An Sgorr and started the short ascent up to Munro Number 2 Meall Garbh and it's interesting summit cairn.

Summit 2.JPG
Meall Garbh

Another descent followed and then a climb up to Meall a'Bhar which then presented us with an easy high level wander to the summit of Munro Number 3 Carn Mairg. This was the most interesting of the three with some nice rock outcrops near the summit.

Summit 3.JPG
Carn Mairg Summit with Schiehallion in the background

Rocks on 3.JPG
Rocks on Carn Mairg

Route to 4.JPG
Route ahead to Creag Mhor

A steep descent and then a good path took us easily to the top of the final Munro of the day Creag Mhor and it's rocky top. From here we lost the path for a while as we headed over to the other top but soon met it again winding it's way easily down the obvious ridge back into Glen Lyon.

Unfortunately we went slightly wrong near the end, taking a left turn on to a stalkers path which eventually brought us out further up Glen Lyon - costing us around a mile in effort. Just as we arrived back at the car the rain started and it stayed for several hours making us pretty glad we chose the route we did.

Summit 4.JPG
Creag Mhor summit

Looking back at 3.JPG
Looking back at Carn Mairg

Descent.JPG
Descent path

I enjoyed this round and found it to be much more interesting than I first suspected it would be with some good ridge walking keeping to a high level for large parts.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Re: Glen Lyon 4

Postby jepsonscotland » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:12 pm

Great walk, well done. :clap:
Nice photos. I did these 4 recently, the same way as you. The view from Carn Gorm is great.
The second summit is quite "something" with all that steel work!! :lol:
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Glen Lyon 4

Postby falling monkey » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:53 pm

Great report done these 4 about 3 weeks ago , bit of hassle with the felled trees think this is a new tactic by one of the most disliked landowners in the country, ended up one of the hottest days when I done it thankfully I packed extra juice and only drunk my bladder dry by the time I reached the woods for the start of the obstacle course
falling monkey
Munro compleatist

Munros:126   Corbetts:18
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:4   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland