walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

MSR Pocket Rocket windscreen

MSR Pocket Rocket windscreen

Postby NoraKay » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:19 am

Hi. Does anybody out there use a pocket rocket or similar stove when wild camping? I'm looking for ideas for making a lightweight windscreen for mine. Thanks, Nora.
NoraKay
Munro compleatist

Munros:29   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1

Re: MSR Pocket Rocket windscreen

Postby doggy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:12 am

Winscreens can be bought for about a tenner, I don't have one but I really should get one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Plates-Fol ... 4acab0f676

It might be crap but you can get vango ones on ebay too, and highlander.
doggy

Munros:96   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby doggy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:14 am

doggy

Munros:96   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby tenohfive » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:35 am

Sort of defeats the object of buying an ultralightweight stove only to double (or quadruple in the case of the former) the weight with a heavy windscreen. I've not got one (should have mind) and have just made do with careful positioning, but if I do get round to it I'll probably be looking for something relatively lightweight - one of the below possibly:

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... reens-p139
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... creen-p943
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby bydand_loon » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:53 pm

NoraKay wrote:Hi. Does anybody out there use a pocket rocket or similar stove when wild camping? I'm looking for ideas for making a lightweight windscreen for mine. Thanks, Nora.

I bought a couple of the big turkey roasting foil trays (3 for a pound or something) from one of the cheapo shops, cut it, folded over the sharp edges and put a length of wire in the folds to strengthen it, sure I saw it done on YouTube

It wraps around the Alpkit MytiPot just dandy for carrying

Tools required, a rolling pin, pair of scissors and some thin wire (I used solder as it was handy :D and pliable)

bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby mrssanta » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:54 pm

Rudolph made one out of a come can for his espresso pot with the pocket rocket. Took their ends off and split it lengthways. It still needs a little work on the sharp edges but works just fine
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby overthecrowroad » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:33 pm

I just use a couple of layers of foil held on with a rubber band around the cylinder. One of these might be worth a go http://tinyurl.com/mgd6b42
overthecrowroad

Munros:277   Corbetts:222
Fionas:42   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ptc* » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:40 pm

Windscreens aren't just for keeping your flame lit mind, they improve efficiency and save fuel, so well worth the weight and faff.
I've tried all shapes and sizes and always end up going back to the stiff-ish aluminium version that gets crinkled and bent and a bit sticky as well truth be told.
A couple of tent pegs keep will keep it rock solid and keeping the windshield long, in a kind of "omega" shape lets combustion air in, gives you a draught free access point to the controls and lets you stick it all a bit further out of the tent porch without worrying about it getting blown around too much.
ptc*

Postby GMurphy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:35 pm

Primus make a clip on windscreen that is compatible with a pocket rocket. I use it for my stove and its ok but not brilliant as it does not completely shield the burner. A windscreen which encloses both the canister and stove is not recommended as it may cause the canister to overheat and potentially explode. PTCs arrangement sounds like a good compromise as it would prevent excess heat from building up.
GMurphy
Munro compleatist

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:23
Wainwrights:17   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk