walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion

Schiehallion

Postby Alan S » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:46 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 15/11/2008

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 780m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

climbed this on saturday 15/11/08 cant say i enjoyed it to much was at the summit around 10.00am had it to ourselves for half an hour hiding from the worst wind ever.passed around 40 walkers on way back down.
i only started climbing munros this year and i have tried to make sure im prepared for the worst.i was quite shocked at the amount of walkers on Schiehallion with jeans and carrier bags or no decent protection they were in for a shock if they got to the summit

schiehallion.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Alan S on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Re: Schiehallion

Postby Rodds1 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:51 pm

I'm the same in that I have only begun "bagging" this year and having spent a fortune on equipment I cant understand these guys who go up a mountain so poorly equiped - as winter grips hold it's only a matter of time before the mountain rescue have to save these idiots every weekend.
Rodds1

Munros:6   

Postby WillieGo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:26 pm

more years than I am willing to admit and my first ever hill - the Ben, was in full waterproof gear, hat and gloves - all needed for the top and, on the way to the bottom, spotted guys walking in trainers, jeans and shirt sleeves and cuople of tinnies heading for the top - what is that all about?
WillieGo

Munros:1   

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:44 am

They probably think they look 'hard' LOL... I have to admit to often not wearing much as I ascend mountains but I always have it all with me and put everything on at the summit when I start to cool off - just I'm a very hot walker (not that kind of hot LOL)
mountain coward

Postby Myth » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:09 pm

mountain coward wrote:... I have to admit to often not wearing much as I ascend mountains but I always have it all with me ...

Yep - me too. Often in a Tee when others have two long layers... but I cool fast when I stop ,so carry the softshell and waterproofs.
Myth

Postby cjwaugh » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:31 pm

Hi i remember one Easter weekend 2002 i think it was leaving the car park at this hill in glorious sunshine and needing full winter gear at the top. We passed a couple on the way up with no waterproofs or even proper boots on the girl of the two only had a tee shirt and a pair of shorts with trainers on,they had attempted to get to the top but the girl was bordering on hypothermia she was soaked through to the bone and her skin was positively blue my partner at the time had to give her some dry clothes to try and get her warm this seems to happen all to often in our hills we might not have alpine altitudes but it doesnt make them any less extreme or dangerous :(
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby weebutton » Wed May 27, 2009 9:17 pm

I didnt read all the replies to this post but I was in Japan last year and didnt really anticipate climbing any mountains but ended up getting a cable car up Mt Asahidake (which according to the website is the highest mountain in Hokkaido and the cable car takes you to 1600m). I only had my trainers and from the bottom I could see snow and hot gas spewing out the mountain so needless to say was apprehensive.
I was quite relieved to see group of Japanese school children in full 'Battle Royale' style uniforms complete with converse trainers...I knew that I would be OK.
However, it is still an active volcano and really was quite snowy up there! I also saw a Japanese lady in knee high heeled boots carrying a baby up there!
Mad!
weebutton

Munros:200   Corbetts:15
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:10   Islands:39

Postby mountain coward » Thu May 28, 2009 1:02 am

Actually, stilettos are an excellent emergency single-spike crampon! :lol:
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland